I was just over at Tuttie's blog, and she had a new post regarding adoption. Which got me thinking: I don't know a single Muslim family that has adopted children or were adopted themselves. This is a big deal to me, since I was adopted as a baby and I would like to adopt children at some point Insha'Allah.
I know the rules about adoption in Islam, and for the most part they make sense. Adopted children are never to be fooled into thinking that they are their adoptive parents' biological child; I know that not telling kids they are adopted used to be standard practice years ago in order to prevent kids from feeling "different" or weird, and some people still do this. I think this attitude is devastating to a child; everyone has the right to know who they are and where they came from, and some adoptions deny children these rights. In Islam, children are to keep the names their biological parents gave them in order to maintain bonds, and they must be allowed information about and access to their biological families. I am in a closed adoption, meaning that up until I turned 18 I was not allowed any information about my biological parents, not even medical information. Everyone goes through identity issues, and for adopted people these issues are magnified because of this lack of information. Alhamdulillah, Islamic law tries to prevent this withholding of information as much as possible. Adoptive parents are indeed special, and deep, loving bonds can be formed between them and the adopted children, but no matter what happens the parents and children will never be biologically related. Islam also recognizes this fact and prohibits adoptive parents from calling adopted children their biological children.
There are a few things that I am struggling with given my status as a Muslim that has been adopted. As a rule, adoptive parents are not mahrams (people who are blood-relatives and are forbidden to marry), although if the adoptive mother breastfeeds the adopted child at a certain age then the adoptive parents are mahrams. I was never breastfed, so my adopted parents are not mahrams to me. This is especially difficult with the case of the relationship between me and my adoptive father. Since my father is a non-mahram man, he technically cannot see me without hijab, and I am not allowed to have physical contact with him. This is very hard for me to fathom; this man has been a father to me for practically all my life. He has sacrificed so much so that I could have a good life. We share everything. For me to suddenly have to cover up in front of him and not hug him anymore really saddens me. Since my parents still don't know that I'm Muslim, and they hold a lot of misconceptions and negative feelings about Islam, these rules will only make their feelings towards Islam even worse. I was so concerned about this that I talked to the Muslim chaplain at my college, who in turn talked to a local sheikh. He said that given my situation, I could temporarily suspend these rules. Alhamdulillah, I am so glad that Islam is meant to be a mercy and not a hardship on people.
Some people do not seem very sympathetic about my situation. Someone told me that I could not lead prayers because I am an illegitimate child. I thought that the Qur'an said that people are only responsible for themselves and do not have to pay for the sins of others. It is not my fault that I am illegitimate, so why should I be denied a privilege because my birthparents did something they shouldn't have done? I actually found this passage a couple days ago from a book about false hadiths:
" 'An illegitimate child cannot enter the Paradise nor anyone from his descendents to as far as the seventh generation.' Related by At Tabaraani and classified fabricated by Ibn Jawzee. This fabricated hadith contradicts the Holy Qur'an. In Surah Najm (53:58), ALLAH says (translation of the meaning), 'No soul shall be made to bear the burden of another (i.e. sins).' And in Surah Faatir (35:18), ALLAH says (translation of the meaning), '...And if one heavily laden with burden (i.e. sins) calls another to bear his load, nothing of it will be lifted even though he will be near of kin...' An illegitimate child had no choice whether to be legitimate or illegitimate. The blame lies totally with his or her parents. To insinuate that ALLAH will punish an illegitimate child due to the sins of the parents is unIslamic and illogical. ALLAH is not an oppressor and hence He doesn't punish a person for the sin of another. ...As for the hadith that says the illegitimate child should not lead the salah, this hadith is classified weak. The imam which the Muslims are not supposed to pray behind is the one who is an open sinner..." (Taken from 100 Fabricated Hadith, kalamullah.com)
It also seems strange that I am technically allowed to not wear hijab in front of my biological father and brothers, and I can hug and kiss them, even though they are total strangers to me and I would feel very uncomfortable doing these things.
Does anyone know adopted Muslims or Muslims that have adopted children?
Saturday, January 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Creating Advanced tip with Swagbucks9 years ago
-
-
Pembuatan SKA10 years ago
-
Affordable Dining Room Furniture10 years ago
-
-
-
Butterfly (2015)10 years ago
-
-
Ginger Wedang (Sarebba)11 years ago
-
Advice11 years ago
-
-
Are you still following me?12 years ago
-
Confession12 years ago
-
-
Weight Loss Roadblocks12 years ago
-
-
I think I'll just move it12 years ago
-
Elegant hijab look13 years ago
-
Nostalgia13 years ago
-
A Mercy to Mankind13 years ago
-
-
saveoursunnah is under maintenance14 years ago
-
chickenxlicken is under maintenance14 years ago
-
Education for New Mothers14 years ago
-
-
-
I was bored...14 years ago
-
New Blog15 years ago
-
Ramblings15 years ago
-
Sorry I have not posted in a long time15 years ago
-
Reality Check15 years ago
-
How are things?15 years ago
-
Goodbye.15 years ago
-
My New Blog16 years ago
-
go on hiatus16 years ago
-
Closing Time16 years ago
-
Survey I Stumbled Upon (:16 years ago
-
So...16 years ago
-
I'm a Copy Cat16 years ago
-
The Velvet Promise16 years ago
-
imaginary clothes17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

8 comments:
Asalamu Alaikum,
"Someone told me that I could not lead prayers because I am an illegitimate child."
I find that really sad. I hate it when people go around saying things in regard to Islam when they in truth have no knowledge about the matter and their statements can easily be proven contradictory to Islam and false. As for your questions about know Muslims who were adopted or have adopted. I know a couple of families who have adopted children. take care sis
Ma'asalama
Anne: Wow complicated. I wouldn't worry too much about your adoptive father. In my opinion, he is your father so if you hug him I really would hope God would for give you. I have a hard time believing that he cannot count as a maharam....then again, I don't follow the scarf on the head rules as closely as you do :)
There are always exceptions to the rule. Obviously, your situation (they not knowing you are muslim) is an exception. But because they are not muslim this might always remain an exception. No one wants to accidentally do something to alienate parents. Sometimes you have to look and see if a technicality is worth the damage.
Thanks for your input, Amira and LK.
Amira: Yeah, it can be annoying; what probably happened was that they heard this hadith about not being able to lead prayer and didn't realize that it is indeed fabricated. And I'm glad to hear that there are Muslims out there that adopt.
LK: It is a tricky situation. I accept the fact that my adoptive dad is not a mahram, but this doesn't mean that I will suddenly stop loving him or interacting with him. Even though he technically isn't my mahram, there might be exceptions made both because of the situation that I'm in and because I was so young when I was adopted. I agree, I do not want to alienate my parents, and Insha'Allah I will do my best to follow Islamic rules without causing offense to anyone. I'm doing a few things now in regards to this; for example, I used to let my dad come into the bathroom to brush or shave while I was in there, but I don't do that anymore. I also try not to kiss him on the lips. My dad and I have never been really touchy-feely, so it's not such a huge change.
Asalaam alikum sis. The whole non-biological parents not being mahram has always confused me also. In my head it works like this. I dont think that you would be able to marry your adoptive father by American/British law, therefore I would suggest that it would be considered acceptable not to wear Hijab in front of him. I feel like this with cousins. have been blessed with 3 girls as cousins, but if one was a boy, I would be expected to wear hijab in front of him only. But I cannot legally marry my cousins in the UK as it is considered incest/inbreeding... therefore it would be (in my head) ok not to wear hijab.
Just my point of view
Salaam Sis
Liz
Anne I disagree with the others about your dad and agree with the chaplain and the sheikh. Just because we don't like a certain rule in Islam does not mean we just abandon it or ridicule it. May Allah swt reward you for trying your best to follow his deen. IN the end we can only do our best and we hope that he forgives us for our transgressions.
I was sorta of unofficially adopted by my step dad when I was 7 years old and technically he is my mahram because he was married to my biological mother which makes it haraam for me to marry him.
Also if a father were to molest his own biological child then it is best to apply the rules of hijab to him.
Hijab is more then just the scarf on your head but it is the most visible. You could still implement SOME hijab if you so chose to and inshaAllah no one will fault you if you don't since its between you and Allah swt anyway. Some ideas I suggest is wearing these kinds of hats
http://blogs.98pxy.com/files/2008/09/winter-hats.jpg
they may not be full hijab but they can be 'trainer hijabs' to ease your family in to full hijab. There is leniency for people in your situation you just need to find a trusted sheikh to walk you through it.
I am VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY SORRY you were treated with such IGNORANCE. First of all a child does not inherit the sins of the parents and is SIN FREE until they reach puberty. Even so you are a convert so your sins that you accumulated (since puberty) were wiped out. Don't pay any mind to them. Although I have the urge to kick them in the gonads for you.
Keep staying strong in the deen and ask Allah swt to make things easier for you.
ignorants are every where and they have no sense, so just keep ignoring them. i loved to adapt a child one day but i know that then my brothers won't be her mahrams and i hated this.
it's great that you are trying to follow the rules of islam and the situation you have with your father is very difficult, but he is still your father and loves you and to live without being able to hold him or hug him or kiss his hand and head is tough :( . Allah will be with you dear :)
Salaamu Alaikum!
The first thing that popped into my mind was, how do you know you are an illegitimate child? I don't know all that much about you, so in a way i'm assuming that there is a possibility you do not know. But even if you do know, was the other person just assuming also, because of the fact you were adopted? Here is a link to a fatwa about illegitimate children : http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/85043 ....i found it interesting.
Its really sad that you father is not mahram. I can not imagine going through something like that...Wow! May Allah swt ease your pain! Maybe somehow there will be a way in which you qualify as being mahram. Inshallah sister.
Thanks for all your comments!
Liz: Wa alaikum assalaam! I can see where you're coming from, but I believe that the Islamic rules of adoption take precedence over laws of countries. It's tough and hard to understand/accept sometimes, but Insha'Allah ALLAH will help me and will reward me for trying to obey His rules.
Tuttie: Salaam alaikum! I agree with you; I'm not going to ignore something in shari'a just because it is inconvenient for me. I never wear hats, although Insha'Allah I might consider doing so later on in order to get my parents used to the idea of me covering my head. Alhamdulillah, I appreciate your willingness to defend me; Islamic sisterhood is awesome! :) I am friends with the person who said that to me, and I don't think she said it to be mean; she probably just heard the hadith and didn't know that it was fabricated.
Wafa: Salaam alaikum! Thanks for the kind words. I think that if you wanted to adopt a girl, and if you breastfed the child, then your brothers would be mahrams to her. I could be mistaken, though. And you're right; even if I am not physical with my father, I will always love him.
AlabasterMuslim: Wa alaikum assalaam! I am 100% sure that I am illegitimate; my birthfather wrote me a letter saying in it that he and my birthmother had not married and were not ever planning to marry. Yeah, it sucks that my dad isn't mahram. Even if he's not, I will always maintain a special relationship with him; after all, he did help raise me and has given me so much in life, Alhamdulillah.
Post a Comment