I received a comment from Safyiah on my post about not forsaking one's culture once becoming a practicing Muslim. She brought up several good points and I wanted to share them here.
In regards to the hadith I mentioned about the Prophet (saw) and the Ethiopians:
"The story of the sons of Arfida, a familiar Arabian linguistic reference to Ethiopians, provides a telling illustration of the place of culture (here, of course, Black African culture) within the Prophetic dispensation. In celebration of an annual Islamic religious festival, a group of Black African converts began to beat leather drums and dance with spears in the Prophet's mosque. ‘Umar ibn al-Khattab (ra), one of the chief Companions, felt compelled to interfere and stop them, but the Prophet (saw) intervened on their behalf, directing ‘Umar (ra) to leave them alone and noting to him that they were the sons of Arfida, that is, not his people. The Prophet (saw) invited his wife ‘A’isha (ra) to watch the dance, took her into the crowd, and lifted her over his back, so that she could watch them clearly as she eagerly leaned forward, her cheek pressing against his. The Prophet (saw) made it a point to dispel the Ethiopians' misgivings about ‘Umar's (ra) intrusion and encouraged them to dance well and, in one account of this authentic story, reassured them to keep up their drumming and dancing, saying: Play your games, sons of Arfida, so the Jews and Christians know there is latitude in our religion.
The Prophet’s (saw) intervention to stop 'Umar (ra) made it clear that the Ethiopians were not to be judged by 'Umar’s (ra) indigenous Arabian standards or made to conform to them. The “sons of Arfida” had their own distinctive cultural tastes and conventional usages. The fact that they had embraced Islam did not mean they were also required to commit cultural apostasy or become subservient to Arab customs. The Prophet (saw) allowed Muslim Arabs agency in their social expression and extended a similar right to non-Arabs. By his affirmation of the “sons of Arfida,” he established an overriding sunna and abiding legal precedent for respecting different ethnic and cultural traditions and acknowledging the emotional needs, tastes, and cultural inclinations of all who embraced his teaching."
from “Islam and the Cultural Imperative” by Dr. Umar Faruq Abd-Allah
According to the footnotes in this work, this hadith is related in Bukhari (2.103) and Muslim, with the concluding reference from Musnad al-Humaydi.
You're right, given the wording of the hadith it might not have been dancing as we think of it, but more like playing or performing (I read that it might have even been like martial arts). I thought the explanation that Dr. Abdullah gives made sense, though. As long as whatever cultural activity doesn't transgress the rules of Islam, they are permissible.
I won't deny that "Western" culture has a lot of problems, and I won't deny that Arab culture is influenced heavily by Islam. But this is not to say that Western culture can never be Islamic. It simply hasn't been exposed to Islam the same way Arab culture has. If Islam continues to grow in "Western" societies, Insha'Allah the unIslamic parts of Western culture will dissipate and there will be a Western Islamic culture.
I used to dislike abayas because I thought they were an "Arab" garment and non-Arab women who wore them were falling into "the Arab way is the best way" idea. I don't believe this anymore; abayas are indeed very good ways to fulfill the requirements of hijab, and they shouldn't be considered only an Arab garment. I do like abayas, but I don't think they need to be black (there are several hadiths that talk about female sahabah wearing colors like green, red, yellow, etc.) In general, I prefer to wear button-up jilbabs (like floor-length trenchcoats, the ones really popular in Turkey) or long skirts with long sweaters or shirts over them.
I think it's more an issue of people living in Western countries being seriously misinformed about Islam rather than any inherent hatred of it. In terms of the average person, it's not their fault that the media gives such a negative portrayal of Islam. But if people choose to study Islam for themselves, or if they hear about all the good that Islam offers, their hearts can change. I was brought to Islam by watching the movie "Not Without my Daughter", a film infamous for its negative portrayal of Islam and Iranians. It piqued my curiosity as to whether or not Islam really condoned all that happened in the movie, and after some research, I realized that Islam was the truth Alhamdulillah.
I am not going to change my name. It does have a good meaning; "Anne" is the diminuitive of the name "Chana", a Hebrew word meaning "grace". And it's elegant and simple.
I'm usually pretty good at checking the authenticity of hadiths and what imams and sheikhs say in their lectures. I didn't initially check the authenticity of the hadith the imam at my masjid spoke about, so Jazakallah khair for reminding me.
I appreciate your comment. I don't agree with everything you said, but I know you said all these things for my own benefit and to help me, and I thank you for that. May ALLAH reward you for helping a sister out. :)
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Creating Advanced tip with Swagbucks9 years ago
-
-
Pembuatan SKA10 years ago
-
Affordable Dining Room Furniture10 years ago
-
-
-
Butterfly (2015)10 years ago
-
-
Ginger Wedang (Sarebba)11 years ago
-
Advice11 years ago
-
-
Are you still following me?12 years ago
-
Confession12 years ago
-
-
Weight Loss Roadblocks12 years ago
-
-
I think I'll just move it12 years ago
-
Elegant hijab look13 years ago
-
Nostalgia13 years ago
-
A Mercy to Mankind13 years ago
-
-
saveoursunnah is under maintenance14 years ago
-
chickenxlicken is under maintenance14 years ago
-
Education for New Mothers14 years ago
-
-
-
I was bored...14 years ago
-
New Blog15 years ago
-
Ramblings15 years ago
-
Sorry I have not posted in a long time15 years ago
-
Reality Check15 years ago
-
How are things?15 years ago
-
Goodbye.15 years ago
-
My New Blog16 years ago
-
go on hiatus16 years ago
-
Closing Time16 years ago
-
Survey I Stumbled Upon (:16 years ago
-
So...16 years ago
-
I'm a Copy Cat16 years ago
-
The Velvet Promise16 years ago
-
imaginary clothes17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3 comments:
This a great post. I just read the story about the Ethiopeans and I was all "Mash'Allah the prophet understood difference in culture vs religion!" Made me very happy, I like to dance around providing its just girls LOL
Yeah it is simply that the west has a bad image of Islam. It is up to western muslims to change that :) And I kinda wish Abayas were more main stream here, I like them LOL
I wouldnt change my name either. I see no reason for it. Some want to and thats cool but not me. I did a post about that a long time ago, its an interesting concept but not required.
Haha, I like to dance around provided it's just me. :)
Subhanallah, It really is amazing to read some of the hadiths about the Prophet (saw) and see just how progressive and understanding he really was. Insha'Allah if I make it into Jannah I can't wait to meet him face to face and embrace him. :)
Western Muslims indeed have a lot of work to do if we're going to spread the truth about Islam and bash negative stereotypes. And yeah, abayas/jilbabs do look really cool, not to mention that they're so flowy and comfortable that sometimes I forget that I'm wearing them.
I would only change my name if it had a definitely haram meaning (e.g. any names of gods or goddesses, the name of a tyrant or evil person, etc.).
Salamo Aleikom sis
I'm happy you have read my comment. I'm not saying you have to wear abaya and that it has to be black, actually i know how difficult it is to wear abayas in the west and how difficult sometimes is to get it. when i was still in Portugal i wore a black abaya a couple of times, it catched attention more than using a skirt and large long shirt. When it comes to western society, i Muslims are the ones giving the image of Islam and talking somewhat in a negative way about arabs may misguide some people. i had experience with 2 friends of mine that were christian and converted to Islam. the masjid in Lisbon is not so good, they have a lot of innovations, although i tried to change that and my husband also, by e-mails sent to the sheikh, after we got married here in Egypt. anyway, in that masjid, the sheikh, Imam and most of the Muslims are of indian and pakistani cultures and they use to talk in a bad manner about arabs. which i totally disagree it should be done while converts are present or even non-Muslims learning about Islam. they started having distorted ideas about arabs and there's this feeling after of "distance" between arab Muslims and other Muslims. i mean, Prophet Muhammad (sws) was an arab... He was born in what is now Saudi Arabia that people talk bad about arround the globe just because they carry out with the shariah and sometimes even overlook some things (if i'm not mistaken). Shariah is very strict, there has to be many witnesses of the sins (usually 4) to be carried out the punishment. And also the obligation of niqaab is just for protection of women and i know saudi women don't look opressed in any way when i see them without niqaab, they are pretty elegant and sophisticated and really do what many other women in other Muslim countries don't do.
Anyway, glad you could confirm about the hadith although still not happy with the translation it has. i may look here in arabic to see if it's actually dancing or not. could you give me the number of the hadith if possible? it would be easier, lol.
jazakAllah Khair sis.
Salam
Post a Comment