Monday, January 18, 2010

Alhamdulillah for new clothes!

And now for one of my not-so-thought-provoking posts:

I have wanted a button-up denim jilbab for a long time. I think they look classic and casual (my favorite style), and they fulfill the requirements of hijab while at the same time looking distinctly American. After looking in local Islamic clothing shops for one, only to find that they only sell black embroidered abayas (which are fine, but I want something a bit more colorful and Western-looking), I broke down and ordered one off the internet. There was some trouble with the order that could have caused some real problems; I ordered it off of Ebay, and when I put the shipping address down I accidently wrote my parents' address instead of my address at school. If it arrived at my parents' house and they opened it, they would know that I was Muslim and my entire cover would be ruined. Alhamdulillah, I actually went to their house this weekend and managed to hide the package before they saw what was inside. There was a lot of tension involved in getting this jilbab, but after seeing it it was totally worth it. I can't wait to wear it; I'm going to look totally hot! In a halal, hijabi way of course... :)

(sorry, for some reason I can't post a picture of it from the website. but it's your basic denim abaya with front buttons, dark denim, pockets in front, and no embroidery)

4 comments:

AlabasterMuslim said...

I have one of those! It is kind of 'american' to me I guess. Never really thought of it that way. But mashallah, they are nice right? Alhamdullilah you were able to get the package first!!

NeverEver said...

Alhamdulillah Anne, I know how long you have been waiting for that :-P MashaAllah glad you finally got what you were hoping for sis.

P.S. where/how is laila? I dropped here a line. InshaAllah all is khair with you two up there.

LOVE

Banana Anne said...

Salaam alaikum AlabasterMuslim and NeverEver, and thanks for the comments!

@ AlabasterMuslim: Masha'Allah, it looks great (or as the British would say, "smart"). And Alhamdulillah, I'm SO happy that I was at home to retrieve the package!

@ NeverEver: Alhamdulillah, Laila is doing great. She is super busy though; right now we are still on break, and she has a full-time job. During the school year she is working on a double major which involves a lot of research projects, so unfortunately she is not able to blog as much as she did over the summer. She told me, though, that she is going to try and start up again soon Insha'Allah.

Sunnahfollowers Muslima said...

Assalamu Alaikum, yes.....I had bought my first abaya and I was extrememly happy. I can't even tell you how happy I was.....my mom took my abayas away. Well, its only skirts and jeans now. I wear long, long shirts over my jeans though. I mainly stick to my skirts. INsha'ALLAH, it will get easier for the both of us, amin!

My Blog List