Saturday, January 9, 2010

Thanks to Ellen for inspiration for this post

It seems like I can't come up with my own ideas for blog posts. So thanks Ellen for the inspiration!

Alhamdulillah, I am a Muslim. This is the most important part of my identity. I am also an American of Italian, Irish, and German background with a Christian father and a Jewish mother. And I will not ever deny these facts just because of who I am now, nor will I try to be something that I'm not.

Alhamdulillah, Islam is meant for everyone on earth. Arabs, Desis, blacks, whites, indigenous peoples, East Asians, Jews, mixed-race people, poor folks, rich folks, smart folks, not-so-smart folks, disabled folks, convicts, intellectuals, EVERYONE AND ANYONE can be Muslim. They can also do this without forsaking their native culture or way of life, as long as they are in accordance with Islamic law. I read in a book once that Islam can fit right in anywhere, from a traditional Arab family to a village in Siberia to a ghetto in a city. It is simply not exclusive to one culture, time, or place.

I went to jummah prayers yesterday, and the khutba that was given was very thought-provoking. The imam told about an incident involving the Prophet Muhammad (saw) and a group of Ethiopian Muslims. These Ethiopian men were dancing and chanting outside on the street. Umar (ra) saw them doing this and was about to go and stop them--such showy behavior was inappropriate and offensive. However, the Prophet (saw) stopped Umar and went over to the Ethiopians himself. He asked what they were chanting, and they replied "Muhammad is a righteous servant". Muhammad left them to continue on with their dancing. Umar (ra) asked the Prophet (saw) why he didn't stop them from dancing and chanting, and the Prophet (saw) responded, "This is their culture". He then brought Aisha (ra) over to watch the Ethiopians dance. The imam explained that Muhammad (saw) understood and respected cultural differences. Just because something was not polite or proper in Arab culture doesn't mean that it is universally bad; in the case of the Ethiopians, it was positive. Muhammad (saw) merely confirmed that what they were chanting was halal, and once it was established he had no problem with letting them continue. By having Aisha watch them, he spread the message to others that as long as what is being done is halal, it is okay to express oneself according to one's native culture.

Subhanallah, I was so happy when I heard this. So many times I, and I'm sure other people, get the impression that the "Arab way" is the best and only way of doing things simply because the Qur'an is in Arabic and Muhammad (saw) was ethnically Arab. It's like all the Arabs and Arabic culture have a special status or a natural superiority to them because the Prophet (saw) was "one of them". I'm sorry, but I don't buy that. This story, and Muhammad (saw)'s farewell address where he says the line about Arabs not being superior over non-Arabs and vice versa, confirms that Muhammad (saw) didn't think this way either. Islam is about creating a relationship with ALLAH and living your life according to certain morals and rules, not following a specific ethnic culture.

I feel like as a convert I think about this a lot. I feel like there is a lot of pressure to accept a new culture along with Islam, particularly Arab culture. Changing one's name to an Arabic (not even necessarily an Islamic or Qur'anic) name, wearing only black abayas or white thobes and a turban, injecting random Arabic phrases (again, not necessarily Islamic phrases) into the conversation, talking trash about other cultures, especially "Western" culture, etc. I will live my life Islamically; I will not adopt a new culture. I will keep my "Western" name, since it is the name my parents gave me and it doesn't have any blasphemous or other negative connotations to it. I will wear jilbab and hijab, but I will not wear only Khaleeji-style abayas. I will of course say "Insha'Allah", "Subhanallah", etc. in my conversations, and I will learn Arabic so that I can read the Qur'an, but I will not go beyond this. ISLAM IS NOT AN ARAB RELIGION, IT IS FOR EVERYONE!!!

And darn it, why does everything "Western"=inherently bad/unIslamic? The rules of hijab and jilbab can be fulfilled just as well wearing certain "Western" clothes as it can wearing abayas and salwar kameez. The concept of honesty, concern for others, kindness, and selflessness exist in "Western" society, too. It really hurts when "Western" becomes a dirty word among some people.

I was hanging around the masjid yesterday after jummah, and I had a conversation with an older sister who was also a convert from a WASP-y family. She expressed her strong frustration with the pressure for converts to become Arabized or Desiized, and that despite her strong commitment to Islam, nothing could change the fact that she was a white American and proud of her heritage and culture. I told her I couldn't agree more.

I'm sure I will have more to say about this topic later on, as it is very relevant/important to me (and also because this is a sociological topic and I am a sociology major at college, so this stuff is fascinating to me).

So, to reiterate what I said: ISLAM IS FOR EVERYONE FROM EVERY BACKGROUND, ALHAMDULILLAH!!!!!

8 comments:

Stacy K. said...

I agree! I love the beauty and diversity among Muslims and hate it when people use Islam as an excuse to do away with native cultures.

LK said...

Mash'Allah! Aw Anne you said just all. It is really frustrating. I think that is where the music issue comes from: Just because its not appropriate in Arab culture doesn't mean its all bad. Just like the Ethiopeans. Good music.

American culture is drastically different from the middle east. And I know quite a few parents who have desperately tried to keep American culture from their children dispite the fact that they live in America. There is a lot of haram built into American culture (sex, drugs, music with inappropriate content) but that doesn't make the whole culture bad. Just different. I actually was told of lecture where a Sheik encourages muslims to support Christmas because it is part of the culture.

And you can so wear Western clothes and fullfill hijab. Maxi dress! I am also a big fan of wearing short dresses as shirts.

Banana Anne said...

Stacy: I totally agree.

LK: Definitely, I think it is incredibly ignorant to condemn an entire culture as "bad" just because there are some haram things in it. American culture is not perfect, and it does contain many haram things. The same goes for Arab culture, Desi culture, Chinese culture, Latino culture, etc. No one is exempt from doing wrong, and some people need to realize this.

I see where the sheikh was going with respecting one's native culture, but I disagree that we should celebrate Christmas. As secular as it has become, it is still a Christian holiday. Muslims have the two Eids where we can go all out on celebrating.

Maxi dresses FTW! I love them and I was so happy that they were in fashion again this past summer. The wearing of short dresses as shirts is a great idea; this means that no dress is off-limits for being too short, because it can always be worn with loose pants underneath. You can have your cake (or dress) and eat (wear) it too!

Anonymous said...

Alslam Alikom,

I am not a sociologist but I do have an interest in sociology. I am Auditing two advance courses in sociology this term :)

There is a paper titled “Dubbing a Western Muslim Culture” by Sarah Swick seems to be very relevant to the post.
Here is the link:
http://www.minaret.org/dubbing.pdf

Honestly, I haven't read the paper yet and I am not in a position to make any value judgment.

Walid

LK said...

Anne: the Sheik meant we should Recognize Christmas not necessarily celebrate and if your family happens to be Christian then you should not feel bad about celebrating since its really just about Jesus' birthday and muslims love Jesus too. He meant like buy Christmas gifts or cards for your Christian friends so that when Eid comes they will do the same. Its about respect for other religions.

Banana Anne said...

Walid: Wa alaikum assalaam brother. Yes, sociology is so interesting, and I'm really excited to be majoring in it (I just decided to change my major to sociology a couple days ago). That article sounds fascinating; I'll be sure to check it out Insha'Allah.

LK: Fair enough. I gave gifts to my parents and sister for Christmas out of respect for them and their holiday, not necessarily because I believe we should be celebrating it (like you said).

ellen557 said...

MashaAllah Jazak Allah Khair! Great post. One thing I really remembered while reading this was this video of a woman who had converted and kept her "Christian" name. The interviewer said to her: "Are you going to change the name your mother gave you, the one you were baptised with?" and she said "No. My name is Angela and Angela is a Muslim." MashaAllah.

Unknown said...

Salamo aleikom. Well, from the hadith the Imam in your local masjid quoted, i don't know what's the authentication of it as it's the first time i read it. i don't think Prophet Muhammad (sws) would allow dancing, maybe playing, but not dancing. I searched in Bukhari and Muslim and i just came across about Ethiopians in Bukhari, and the hadiths were about Ethiopians "playing in the mosque" and Muhammad (sws) allowed Aisha (raw) to watch them by putting a screen on her eyes in order for her to watch them without fitnah involved.
I don't agree much about defending western culture much also, and i'm a westerner aswell. Arab culture has its bad things in it but it's not like the Western culture has, the values preserved in Arab culture are far greater than in Western culture. It's not that one is superior to another, but Arab culture is closer to islamic behavior of course. and I'm living in Egypt now for 3 months, so, it's from my own experience and also with others' experience. Of course we shouldn't become "arabized", if we want ok, but if we don't want, we can just stick with our religion and that's what Allah asks of us.
About wearing black abayas and clothing in general, it's not from Arab culture. it's sunnah. there's hadiths confirming that the Mothers of the Believers (raw) wore black, as to appear like "crows". And actually abayas cover much more of the traits of the body than any other clothing, so it's about modesty, not about being arabized.
And also, sis, you should see that the culture you're defending is the same culture that led many people to hate Islam, not because it's a religion but because it's a totally DIFFERENT way of life for them and they don't seem to accept it. Their view of democracy is not so democratic when it comes to Islamic affairs. i didn't change my name after converting, my name is Claudia and it's in the Bible. It was a roman woman who converted to Christianity. there's no bad meaning in it and i didn't want my parents to feel i got totally disconnected from my family. it's not because i'm attached to my name or anything. if it wasn't for my parents i would change it, as it's better to have a name with a good meaning. The Prophet (sws) changed many people's names when they became Muslim, he would say the names that had the best meanings for those people. Another mistake some converts do is to listen to Imams or sheikhs and not searching about what they said. some Imams/sheikhs quote weak or fabricated hadiths and you should search about the authentication of everything for your own good and knowledge. It's an advice i give to all the Muslims.

My Blog List