Okay, back to a semi-serious post. :P
I'd like to discuss the whole Israeli-Palestinian conflict. It is a huge issue among the Muslim and Jewish communities in the USA, and I'd like to add my two cents. DISCLAIMER: These are merely my opinions, my gut feelings. I do not expect everyone to agree with them. Please do not call me out saying that what I think is haram or that I'm a kafir or whatever because of my view of the situation.
Undoubtedly the suffering amongst the Palestinian people is outrageous and deeply saddening. I can't even imagine what it must be like to live in what is essentially a police state; not being free to come and go as you please, constantly being checked and harassed by the cops and the military, having a forced curfew, having extremely limited resources and not being allowed to leave the country or even bring supplies in, and being forced to relocate from land that one has always lived on so that others can take it. This kind of suffering is totally unacceptable and disgusting; how anyone can think this is okay or justifiable is beyond me. Palestinians have the right, just like everyone else in this world, to live a life of freedom and dignity. They should be able to have decent food and clothing, free access to medical treatment, freedom to live wherever they want and to move about as they please, and freedom from unfair treatment and humiliation. Instead, their natural human rights are being disregarded by both the Israeli government and Hamas for their own political and material gain. In the end, sadly, they are always the losers.
All this poverty and injustice is enough to make anyone very angry, and when coupled with the huge gap in wealth and quality of life between Israel and Palestine (especially Gaza), it is understandable why so many people are angry at Israel. Israel technically has power over the Palestinian territories; why should the standards and treatment be different among Israelis and Palestinians if they are partially under the same rule?
But, and this is a huge but, all this anger DOES NOT justify suicide bombings, rockets launched at Israeli towns, and the virulent hatred of all things Israeli and Jewish.
Yes, the Israeli government does a lot of reprehensible things. Yes, it must definitely share the blame for the sorry state that Gaza is in now. But this is not the fault of all Israeli people. Just because the government acts a certain way doesn't mean that everyone under that government agrees with it or supports it. Although I don't know any Israelis personally, I am positive that there are plenty that condemn their government's actions against the Palestinians. There are some Israelis that are actively helping in the Palestinian cause. Therefore I think it is ignorant, nasty, and totally unfair to automatically accuse all Israelis of being evil.
What makes me even more upset is when some people extend this frustration and even hatred towards Jews in general. I can not say this enough: NOT ALL JEWS SUPPORT ISRAEL. There are many that do, but there are also plenty that don't. I'm sure people have seen pictures of Orthodox and Hasidic Jews attending anti-Zionist and pro-Palestinian rallies. There are lots of groups created by Jews in support of the Palestinian people. I have studied Judaism pretty extensively, and it teaches kindness, care for the world and all its people, and fighting oppression (especially seen in the story of Musa (as) and the evil Pharaoh). I absolutely hate it when I hear Muslims spouting very anti-Semitic things and blaming the Jews for everything. There are bad people in every group, just as there are good people in every group.
And here comes the controversial part: I do agree with the concept of Israel as a Jewish state. For thousands of years, Jews have not had a nation that they can call home. They had the land of Israel as a concept, but for many reasons (persecution, poverty, government issues, etc.) they could not live or return there. After the Holocaust, where a huge percentage of the worldwide Jewish population was exterminated in only a few short years, Jews felt more than ever that they needed a land where they could live freely and practice their Judaism. Modern-day Israel fulfills this wish for many Jews. It is the only Jewish-majority nation in the world, and after being the minority and the outcast for so long, it probably feels very relieving to finally be among one's own people without fear of oppression or persecution. It is easy to live as a Jew in Israel; kosher food abounds, the Sabbath and the Jewish holidays are observed everywhere, people follow the rules of modesty and family life, and they have the satisfaction of knowing that this is the land where their ancestors and the Prophets (peace be upon them) lived. So yes, I understand why many Jews are so attached to Israel and are so passionate in defending it, even though it means hell for the Palestinians. I of course do not at all condone this behavior of living freely at the expense of others' (i.e. the Palestinians') freedom, but I can understand where they're coming from.
Ideally, I would love for there to be one state where Israelis and Palestinians could live side by side in peace. The Jews could practice their Judaism, and the Palestinians could practice their Islam and Christianity. There would be no oppression or injustice towards anyone.
But this is just my ideal situation, and in no way is this going to happen anytime soon, if ever. ALLAHu Alim. Insha'Allah, I pray that this evil conflict will end soon, that the Palestinian people will be free from oppression and allowed to live their lives, and that Israel/Palestine will become dar as-salaam, an abode of peace. Ameen.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Creating Advanced tip with Swagbucks9 years ago
-
-
Pembuatan SKA10 years ago
-
Affordable Dining Room Furniture10 years ago
-
-
-
Butterfly (2015)10 years ago
-
-
Ginger Wedang (Sarebba)11 years ago
-
Advice11 years ago
-
-
Are you still following me?12 years ago
-
Confession12 years ago
-
-
Weight Loss Roadblocks12 years ago
-
-
I think I'll just move it12 years ago
-
Elegant hijab look13 years ago
-
Nostalgia13 years ago
-
A Mercy to Mankind13 years ago
-
-
saveoursunnah is under maintenance14 years ago
-
chickenxlicken is under maintenance14 years ago
-
Education for New Mothers14 years ago
-
-
-
I was bored...14 years ago
-
New Blog15 years ago
-
Ramblings15 years ago
-
Sorry I have not posted in a long time15 years ago
-
Reality Check15 years ago
-
How are things?15 years ago
-
Goodbye.15 years ago
-
My New Blog16 years ago
-
go on hiatus16 years ago
-
Closing Time16 years ago
-
Survey I Stumbled Upon (:16 years ago
-
So...16 years ago
-
I'm a Copy Cat16 years ago
-
The Velvet Promise16 years ago
-
imaginary clothes17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

7 comments:
I wish we could live to see this type of state in our lifetimes, but I don't think its very realistic either.
I do agree with you that the Palestinian issue does tend to foster a lot of hatred toward Jews all over the Islamic world. Some Arab countries will forbid you entry just for having an Israeli stamp on your passport.
I too would say that I don't disagree with the entire concept of the existence of Israel per se, but I also don't agree with all the political decisions that are made by Israel.
The issue is definitely not all black and white, there is a whole lot of grey.
This hatred of the Jews has gotten way out of control. The other day I was listening to a lecture about things being haram (it was for the kids) and he mentions McDonalds except of course in an Islamic country and a man yells "McDonalds everywhere are haram because they are owned by Jews!" SERIOUSLY!? Muslims complain about prejudice but are so willing to be prejudice themselves. Its awful.
You cannot blame all Jews for Israel just like you cant blame all Muslims for the war in Afghanistan, Iraq, and the Taliban.
Salam aleikum,
thanks for this post. For me, the conflict in Palestine/Israel is so complicated that I fully cannot understand it. It has been going on for such a long time.. I hope to find more time to read about it more carefully so that I could have better picture about it. Insha Allah soon!
@ LK. Umm, not at all. Do some research about Mcdonalds and find out where some percentage of the money goes to and what for. Then You'd boycott M.D :S
Assalamu Alykom,
Sister, Muslims have nothing against Jews, if they ask us for help, we shall offer them help, home and shelter.
During the Spanish Inquisition and due to the Roman Decree, Jews were expelled from Spain and they were welcomed by Morocco and Turkey, they resorted to Muslims, hence the huge number of Jews in Morocco and Turkey today.
They lived peacefully with us; Muslims, it's not a problem at all, even during the times of the Prophet PBUH, Jews lived in Madinah with Muslims.
The problem is; taking over our land, it's Our land, we don't mind them living with us, in our lands, but not taking control of the lands, and moreover, expelling the original owners of the land, the Palestinians.
Israel as a state is established on Arab lands, it's an illegitimate sovereignty, the land belonged to Muslims, to the Ottoman empire formerly before the British invasion of the lands.
But then Britain awarded the land to the Jews instead of giving it back to the owners.
Not only that, they established their own state there, in the middle east, in a spot surrounded by Muslims and Arabs, expelled, tortured, murdered, and raped the Palestinians, destroyed their homes, their towns, and built their own towns over the ruins of the Palestinian ones.
Today, rockets are launched towards the stolen lands, towards the occupiers, those launching the rockets are people who were expelled from their homes, they are firing the rockets at their old homes, at the ones who took them over. Those people had their families killed, their mothers, sisters, and daughters raped in front of them.
It's war, and those claiming to be peaceful settlers are in fact occupiers, who agreed to live in stolen lands. They condone the crimes by agreeing to live there.
And if Jews have the right to have their own state then let them have it anywhere else, but not destroy a present state in order to establish theirs, and then defend it!
I know orthodox Jews condemn the killing, any sane Jew would not accept the existence of the inhumane state of Israel. And it's not about Jews, it's about the state of Israel, it's about the occupation and the occupiers; be them Jews, Christians, Muslims or Atheist. Zionism is the problem.
Those firing the rockets are Freedom Fighters, it's Resistance, not Terrorism.
However, I'm against Suicide Bombing, it's un-Islamic.
But fighting the occupiers and resisting in order to have your land back, in order to expel those who expelled you and your family, those who murdered your family members, is not terrorism, it's their right, no matter what the world try to portray them as.
All respect to the Palestinian People, all respect to Hamas, to all the Freedom Fighters in the world.
By the way, could you watch this please?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8a-IBwaWlE
Post a Comment