Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Help!

Salaam alaikum,

So I'm having an issue that could potentially impact my life for at least the next three years. As many of you know, I decided that I wanted to convert to Islam when I was 15, but for many reasons I waited until I was 18. However, I felt like I was a Muslim in my heart during these "stagnant years". Because I didn't know how to, and because I knew I wouldn't be able to since I lived with my parents, I didn't pray or fast during these years. I was just reading a reliable website saying that I would have to make up all three years of praying and fasting even though I hadn't officially converted and even though I have repented for not praying or fasting during this time. If this is the case, I will be making up prayers for three years and at least 90 days of fasting. There are apparently opinions that say if one sincerely repents and enters into the fold of Islam again after having not prayed and fasted, they will not have to make up these prayers and fasts since their sins will have been forgiven. Does anyone know whether this opinion is legitimate? Do I really have to make up three years of prayers? If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated, since I'm really concerned about this!

16 comments:

NoR said...

salaam,

correct me if im wrong, but if within those years u are not a muslim yet..i bet u dun have to pay back.

Stephanie said...

In my opinion if you didn't say shahadda then you don't have to make them up. It would seem like a nearly impossible task anyway. Is there a reliable imam or sheik in your area whom you could speak to personally. I think many of the online fatwas are so general, and Islamic rulings should take into account the nuances of the situation.

HijabRockers said...

U didn't take ur syahadah yet at that time. So i'm pretty sure u don't have to make up to lost prayer and fasting. Allah knows best.

Vanamo said...

Salam aleikum,

I agree with the opinions already mentioned here. Plus, I have read that if you convert to Islam from Christianity or Judaism, you get double reward and all your former sins are forgotten at the moment of convert. Allah knows best.

NeverEver said...

Also, it should be noted I think that Islam is not supposed to be hard or a burden on you. We are supposed to take the middle way while staying within the lines of Islam. Allahu alem, but I would say that making up 3 years of fasts and prayers is going way way above the middle way and making a severe burden on you. I think if you truly repent, and perhaps try to pray more voluntary prayers with the intent of asking Allah to not hold this against you, inshaAllah you will be okay. It is all about the intention sister.

"Allah intends for you ease, and does not want to make things difficult for you" [2:185]; and "Allah does not want to place you in difficulty" [5:6].

the Prophet, salla Allaahu 'alaihe wasallam, said, "Religion is easy..." [Bukhari], he also said; "The best of your religion, is the easiest." [Ahmad]

"Allah likes for this nation ease and hates for it hardship and adversity." [Tabaraani]

NeverEver said...

I also support the idea of you asking a local imam, as I am not a scholar and am just drawing conclusions from my limited knowledge.

Allah forgive me if I have misspoken, ameen

Ahmad said...

Assalamu Alykom,
No sister, you don't have to make up anything insha'Allah.

Ahmad

LK said...

You weren't offiically muslim yet so you can't be held accountable. You can't be held accountable for things that were not required of you prior to Islam that were not required of your former religion. Otherwise, we'd all have a lot of fasting and praying to do. Plus your situation has to be taken into account as well.

Banana Anne said...

Jazakallah khair everyone for helping me out. I pretty much agree with everything you said. Even though I felt like a Muslim during those years, I wasn't actually a Muslim since I didn't say shahadah and I didn't pray, fast, etc. (so I was beyond the pale of Islam). Once I took my shahadah and started practicing, I was under the impression that all previous sins were forgiven, and prayers and such don't need to be made up since I was not Muslim by name or deed at the time. Also, three years of prayer to make up would be a huge burden, and I think that if I had to do these I would come to resent prayer as a chore rather than a joyful act of worship. I have repented several times, and ALLAH constantly reminds us that He is the Most Merciful, so Insha'Allah He accepts my repentance and knows that since I started praying I have been very careful to pray all of them on time, and I started adding some sunnah prayers and witr prayer into my daily routine Alhamdulillah. Requiring that three years of prayers be made up when the person wasn't even considered a Muslim (either through not converting yet or through apostasy) seems very harsh and doesn't seem to fit in with the idea that once you repent and start practicing that all your previous sins are forgiven.

LK said...

Anne: I can tell you from what I am experiencing now making up prayer does turn prayer into a chore. I'm glad you feel better :)

Anonymous said...

I would suggest that as you werent officially a muslim (when you get a slip of paper from the imam so you can get into Medina and Mecca) then you are not expected to make up those prayers fasts etc as we would actually need to make up our whole lives worth of fasts and prayers, not just the 3 years or so that we considered Islam.

Thats my 2p's worth!

CareMuslimah said...

Yes I know I'm late for this.. lol. But I must say I agree a ton with NeverEver. Get a second opinion from a "profesional" but from the average point of view you're fine. lol. Salam alaykum!

Banana Anne said...

Jazakallah khair for all your responses, ladies. They really helped. I talked to my Muslim chaplain at school, and she gave me the contact information of a local imam that can help me Insha'Allah.

Maryam said...

Assalamu alaikum
im waay late but here is what i can say: DO NOT MAKE UP THREE YEARS OF PRAYERS. Did you know that in Islam, if a Muslim becomes lazy and doesn't pray for several years because he/she's not "practicing" but knows it is fard, then later on makes tawbah, he/she does not have to make anything up. if the muslim doesn't make it up, imagine the non-muslim. I know there are opinions (there are alwayz opinions) but ibn taymiyyah and ibn uthaymeen both agreed that there is no need to make the salah up if it is more thatn 3 days of missing it. i took a class about fiqh of salah and there was a hadith where a non-muslim converted to islam then asked the prophet about this and the prophet (S) said that that man had all his past sins forgiven. the time u didnt pray dont count insha'allah.

Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaikum,

More in response to the previous commenter than to your question (which I concur, you weren't muslim, so you don't have to make them up):

There is a disagreement about whether or not one must make up missed prayers. The majority holds that it's obligatory, and a few (ibn Hazm and some others) say it's not. Now, for my own self, I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I work to make up the years of prayers I missed. Yes, it's a pain, but I'd rather stand in front of Allah (swt) on the day of judgment with all those prayers on my account, even if they're not required, than with years of prayers missing.

Namra said...

Asalam o alykum! may Allah bless you for seeking this type of konwledge!!

There are 3 opinions.

1) You must make up all the all the prayers that you have missed.

2) Most scholars have agreed upon this fatwa the most: You pray all you sunnah & Nafl prayers, and that will make up for your lost prayers.

I was in a situation like this before, and i was wondering what to do about my missed prayers. I took an Al Maghrib class and got my answer from Sheikh Riad Ourazzi!

also i would like to reccomensd this website to you

www.amjaonline.com

This is the Assembly of Muslim Jurist in America. You can ask them this question, and it will be answered by a Scholar.

My Blog List