Tuesday, January 12, 2010

FOOD

Today, so as to avoid seeming like a one-trick pony, I'm going to write about something not related to Islam in particular, and something that everyone can relate to: FOOD.

I am a voracious eater (and have definitely put on some pounds since this summer thanks to my really busy class schedule and abysmal eating habits; can anyone say gummy bears and taco meat for breakfast?). I totally think that I would make a great foodie for restaurants, even though it might be a bit challenging because I don't eat pork or alcohol and don't eat non-halal/non-kosher meats (except when I'm at my parents' house and don't have a choice except to eat non-halal).

This transition to cutting out non-halal meats has been tough for me, since I absolutely love meat in almost any form, and unfortunately all the halal and kosher restaurants are a few miles away (and me without a car). Also, unfortunately for me, this has meant me having to forgo most grub from fast food joints. As a tribute to my beloved salty, greasy treats, I'm going to give my two cents on a few fast food restaurants I've patronized over the years.

McDonald's:
Apparently when I was about four years old I absolutely loved McDonalds, especially their chicken nuggets. Since I was an only child for seven years, I generally got what I wanted, which meant that I ate McDonald's food often. I remember the transition from eating Happy Meals to the full-sized meals, where you got even more fattening goodness but had to leave behind the free toy. I haven't eaten McDonald's, other than their fish sandwich, in over a year, and I have to admit that I really miss it. I used to always get a medium grilled chicken sandwich meal with Hi-C orange drink; if I was really feeling like a pig, I would get the 10-piece chicken nugget meal (I was so excited when McDonald's announced that they were going to start using only white meat chicken in their nuggets). I heard there's a McDonald's near Detroit that sells halal chicken nuggets, so maybe someday, Insha'Allah, I'll make a pilgrimage there and stuff my face (I'll try to do other stuff in Detroit also so as not to feel like a total idiot).

Burger King:
I LOVE THEIR FRIES. SO MUCH. I've read a lot of reviews that say that McDonald's fries are the best, while Burger King fries are inferior because of the batter-type stuff they put on it. I think it makes them extra crispy and nice and soft on the inside.
Plus, unlike McDonald's fries, Burger King fries are completely vegetarian, so I can still eat them! Unfortunately their onion rings, which I also love, are not vegetarian. Recently I've been having a killer craving for Burger King onion rings. At the office I worked at over the summer they sold prepackaged Burger King brand onion ring-type snacks (I think they're made out of corn or something) which I have actually come to like. And they're halal, so YUM. At school there is a vending machine that disperses hot kosher snacks, including onion rings. I tried them and they taste just like the ones at Burger King, but at $2.75 a pop for a measly six onion rings, I can't afford to have them often.
Also, their burgers are the best fast food burgers anywhere.

Popeye's Chicken:
I haven't eaten here often, but the first time I did it was sheer ecstasy. I was traveling with a bunch of people to Michigan (not Detroit) and in Ohio we stopped for dinner at a rest area. I was really tired and hungry after being in the car all day, so I saw a Popeye's and decided to give it a try. You should have seen me eat that stuff; I was a total beast. I loved it so much I even started picking at the leftovers of the other people on the trip. There is a Popeye's near where my parents live, but the people that work there are notorious for being really nasty and racist.

Subway:
Alhamdulillah, Subway offers a ton of veggies, so I can simply forgo the meat and eat a cheese sub with all my favorite vegetables. I'm not missing much from them, but it would still be nice to be able to order a turkey sub once in a while. I heard that there are kosher Subways in New York City, and one may be opening up in Boston, so I'll be all over that once I have access to them Insha'Allah.

Chick-fil-A:
This fast food chain is mainly found in the Southern United States with a few renegade locations elsewhere, so I can only indulge in this when I visit family in North Carolina. I'm not sure how much of their food is vegetarian, and I can safely say that there are no halal Chick-fil-A restaurants, so I guess I'm out of luck. But their chicken sandwiches and fries were amazing. They also offered the option of getting a fresh fruit cup with your meal instead of fries, which I thought was a great idea.

I could talk about so many other fast food places, but I'm sure you have something else to do now! What about you, my readers? What fast food joint calls out your name when you pass by it?

8 comments:

Sarah said...

You could have the tuna sub sandwich. I normally dont like tuna, but I had the guy add some really good dressings..it was delicious :P

LK said...

Chick-fil-A rules. It is so on my "I will miss you" food list LOL

Anonymous said...

Could you explain what do you mean by Halal?

Thanks,

Banana Anne said...

Anonymous: Sure thing. Halal is the Arabic word for "lawful"; with regards to Islam and food, it means anything that is allowed to be eaten. Islamic dietary laws are pretty simple and similar to kosher dietary laws: pork, blood, and carrion (animals that died of natural causes) may not be eaten, and alcohol may not be drunk or added to food. Meat must also be slaughtered according to certain rules; for example, the name of God must be pronounced over the animal before the slaughter, and the animal must be killed by a slit to the throat with a very sharp knife so as to drain all the blood and kill the animal as quickly and painlessly as possible. Meat that has been slaughtered this way is called "dhabihah" (also spelled "zabihah"), but more commonly just referred to as "halal meat". Not all Muslims eat exclusively halal meat, but I try to do so because taking a life (even an animal's life) is a serious thing, and I want to follow what God has told us regarding this.

Hope this answered your question!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I do understand your concern and I appreciate your strive to follow Allah orders. However, you said "Not all Muslims eat exclusively halal meat.." which seems a bit strong.

I don't want to confuse anyone but to me there is a difference between what a person choose for him/herself and what is still valid interpretation. For example, if Hijab and Niqab are okay for Muslimat then, no matter what a Muslimah choose to wear the other one is still valid. This does not mean that Muslims shouldn't discuss these issues.

Could you please read this Fatwa?

http://www.amjaonline.com/en_f_details.php?fid=403

Banana Anne said...

Thank you for posting that detailed fatwa.
I mostly said that not all Muslims eat only halal meat in passing and as a general observation; the majority of Muslims that I know eat only halal meat, but I also know some who will eat supermarket meat.

WhiteOrchid said...

Nothing can beat popeyes chicken!
and their butter milk biscuits :D

Unknown said...

Oh no... you mentioned McDonald's *.*
I LOVE IT. since i came to Egypt i can't stop eating it, and the best part is: IT'S HALAL!

McChicken is what i can't get enough of... right now i'm literally with water on my mouth just by thinking about it. lol

My Blog List