Tuesday, January 26, 2010

College...

...is ridiculously expensive. $175 for books for just one class? $80 for a German workbook that you tear the pages out of (like the ones you had in grade school)? Over $50,000 for a year in tuition? Almost a quarter of a million dollars for four years? $15 if you lose your student ID? $100 if you misplace your room key? Over $4 for deodorant at the college bookstore? No wonder students (including myself) are always complaining about how they have no money. Shouldn't there be laws that regulate prices of stuff so it won't be like highway robbery trying to get an education?

Did I mention that I hate money sometimes?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe I know exactly where your coming from! I do a dual honors course at a Uni in the Uk I have spent £110 on books for one and £90 on the other £200!!! thats without the £5000 a year I have on loan from the government!
And its only my first year!!! these expenses are only going to get higher especially when they are talking £7000-£12000 a year on tuition!

Banana Anne said...

Yeah, it sucks so hard. It makes me want to become a communist sometimes... :P

HijabRockers said...

Wow. Speechless.

Alhamdulillah for us here in Malaysia. Education is quite cheap, subsidized (government colleges and unis) and everybody is entitle to apply for study loan with very low interest (1%).

Candice said...

I'm glad here in Quebec we have pretty low costs compared to so many places. The books are expensive like anywhere, but the tuition is much less (a quarter of what it costs someone else in Canada in another province, and probably 20-40x less than an American university), and there's the loans and bursaries program which will give part of the money to the student (with low finances) and loan part of it with no interest to be paid until 6 months after the end of studying.

LK said...

Oh college, gotta love it. I started buying all my text books on amazon after my first semester and got the books over the break. They cost way too much in the book store.

NeverEver said...

ditto.

alhamdulillah i go to a public university, so that brings it down a little, but still... ridiculous

p.s. you can rent text books for the semester at chegg. com, which is actually really cool

CareMuslimah said...

Salam alaykum!! :DD

I've been reading you for about two days.. you're a very interesting blogger mashallah!! ^_^


And I agree.. I just moved to the US and it's pretty shocking how they charge you for EVERYTHING here.. it's very mindblowing. And people just tell me "well that's the american way, that's how we do it".. lol. So complaining isn't gonna help (I learnt that here)

Fadiosis said...

OMG, this is scary O_O"... and i was always complaining about college here :p

i guess now i shouldn't do that :P

Sunnahfollowers Muslima said...

Assalamu Alaikum, Sis I have spent over $500 for 4 classes for my books. RIDiCULOUS....its really sad though. I can't really tell you how much I wish I would've just got my books from online.

Banana Anne said...

Nurul: Yeah, I've heard that Malaysia is very generous financially. One of my good friends from the masjid I attend is from Malaysia, and she said the Malaysian government pretty much gave her all the money she needed to study in America.

Candice: I love Canada. <3 American could learn a thing or two from our northern neighbor.

LK: That's normally what I'd do, but this semester I had to change all my classes on short notice since I changed one of my majors, so if I ordered them online I wouldn't get them in time. :(

NeverEver: Hmm, I've never heard of chegg.com before. I'll have to check it out, Insha'Allah.

CareMuslimah: Aww, thanks! Pfft, there are some things I love about the USA, but there's also a lot of stuff I could definitely do without, like being charged for everything.

Fadiosis: Go ahead, complaining's fun sometimes! And I'm sure that even if it's cheaper in Saudi than in America, it's still not really cheap.

FeministMuslima: It is absolutely insane. Over $500 for 4 classes? That is just unacceptable. Well one thing's for sure, since I spent so much on books I'll be sure to actually read them Insha'Allah!

Fadiosis said...

you're right... even though that i usually don't complain about the money.. but more like of the limitations in the college.. and the stupid rules they force and everything... nothing is perfect after all.. huh :\ ?

NeverEver said...

yep, and they even take care of the return shipping and everything. it's usually a pretty good deal unless the book is under about $30, then it is probably better to just buy it.

My Blog List