Salaam alaikum everyone,
Insha'Allah you are all in the best of health and iman.
I know that in Islam women are equal to men in all spiritual matters. ALLAH makes this perfectly clear in the Qur'an in 33:35: "For Muslim men and women,- for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise,- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward." Subhanallah, this is one of my favorite Qur'anic verses.
I'm sure everyone is familiar with the stereotype of the "submissive Muslim wife": the wife who adores her husband to the point where it almost seems like worship, who does everything he tells her to do, who never gives her opinion on anything, who waits on him hand and foot and expects no help or thanks, and who dismisses any abuse he dishes out to her because "that's just how men are" or "I deserved it". All of these things seem to be totally based around fear and a sense of duty rather than love and mercy. In the Holy Qur'an, ALLAH has said "He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts)..." (30:21). From what I gather from this verse, the relationship between husbands and wives is supposed to be one of mutual kindness, love, and respect. The Qur'an calls spouses "garments" for one another in 2:187. Both the husband and the wife need to put effort into the relationship; it can't be all give or all take.
I have been reading a few articles recently about the ideal Muslim husband and wife (no, I'm not planning on getting married anytime soon, Insha'Allah), and I have been getting mixed messages. Some have emphasized these Qur'anic verses and the Sunnah of the Prophet (saw) on how the relationship should be; they acknowledge the rights that each party has over the other, and they urge people to follow the way the Prophet (saw) and his wives lived and, most importantly, to help each other follow ALLAH to the best of their abilities. Some articles, however, seemed to fall into stereotypes. The sections about ideal Muslim wives was a mile long, saying how they must strive to keep their husbands completely happy and always obey him in everything. The sections about the ideal Muslim husbands, however, wasn't nearly as long, and basically said to be nice to your wife and help her out "from time to time". It seemed like the wife has to devote her whole life to her husband, while the husband doesn't have to do much. These articles also backed up a lot of their statements with hadiths. But it also seemed like they stretched the meanings of the hadiths out, like they took the hadiths and made big generalizations about what they meant.
I hope to get married one day Insha'Allah, and I will definitely try my best to be a good wife, following the Qur'an and Sunnah. Nevertheless, I also want my husband to be devoted and loving. I want us to have a relationship where we are like "garments" for each other, and where we have true tranquillity between each other.
Does anyone else get mixed messages about the interaction between husbands and wives? I don't want to disobey ALLAH in terms of how a woman should treat her husband, but I also don't want to feel like a "little wife". Any thoughts/advice?
Friday, December 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Creating Advanced tip with Swagbucks9 years ago
-
-
Pembuatan SKA10 years ago
-
Affordable Dining Room Furniture10 years ago
-
-
-
Butterfly (2015)10 years ago
-
-
Ginger Wedang (Sarebba)11 years ago
-
Advice11 years ago
-
-
Are you still following me?12 years ago
-
Confession12 years ago
-
-
Weight Loss Roadblocks12 years ago
-
-
I think I'll just move it12 years ago
-
Elegant hijab look13 years ago
-
Nostalgia13 years ago
-
A Mercy to Mankind13 years ago
-
-
saveoursunnah is under maintenance14 years ago
-
chickenxlicken is under maintenance14 years ago
-
Education for New Mothers14 years ago
-
-
-
I was bored...14 years ago
-
New Blog15 years ago
-
Ramblings15 years ago
-
Sorry I have not posted in a long time15 years ago
-
Reality Check15 years ago
-
How are things?15 years ago
-
Goodbye.15 years ago
-
My New Blog16 years ago
-
go on hiatus16 years ago
-
Closing Time16 years ago
-
Survey I Stumbled Upon (:16 years ago
-
So...16 years ago
-
I'm a Copy Cat16 years ago
-
The Velvet Promise16 years ago
-
imaginary clothes17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6 comments:
That's probably cuz men are writing those articles...My advice is be sure and get to know your potential mate very well. Make sure he is someone that values your freedom and thoughts. Marriage doesn't have to be hard, but people make it that way.
You're right Stephanie--these articles were written by men. Go figure. :P But the more moderate articles calling for harmony and love were also written by men, Alhamdulillah. That's very good advice; Insha'Allah I will get to know my future husband to the best of my ability (in a halal way, of course) and make sure that he understands that marriage is supposed to be a partnership, not a chance to get a free live-in maid that doesn't want or need any love.
Salaam sister. Make sure you know how to make sandiwches also.
-Indonesian prince
Salaam alaikum Indonesian Prince,
Although I'm pretty sure that what you were saying was a joke and you weren't intending to be disrespectful (I've seen your other comments on other people's blogs), I don't appreciate the sexist nature of it, especially coming from a man. I wrote this post because I am legitimately concerned about the expected role of a Muslim wife. You, and everyone else, are always welcome to visit my blog and leave comments, but please take care that the comments are respectful. As Prophet Muhammad (saw) said, we should all want for our brothers (and sisters) what we want for ourselves. :)
I think overall, the Muslim wife is asked to do a lot more than the husband is and it can be a pretty unfair situation and something I don't consider to be Islam. Some Muslim woman are quite satisfied taking this submissive role and just find comfort in the fact that everything they are doing that is "extra" they will be rewarded for. Some don't think they are doing anything more than their obligation in obeying their husband while he goes out whenever he wants even if it displeases his wife. He has to provide and observe his duties as a Muslim and there's nothing else required of him (like respect for the wife's opinions, etc.)
I think any man who observes Islam perfectly will be respectful to his wife, but in reality, "Muslims" don't follow Islam like that.
So be very careful who you choose and know that it's tricky. My tip is to amplify any small behavior a prospective spouse has and imagine that this is what it will be like after he gets used to you. For example, you tell your prospective spouse that you went out with some girlfriends the other night and he starts to ask what time it was, if you mixed with guys etc. The questions are fine, but amplified, this is someone seeking control.
I think it's up to you to do your best as a wife, but you (and all women) deserve to find someone who will do their best too even if there's less emphasis put on that in articles and all.
There are many different interpretions of Islam. Of course, men are going to interpret the scriptures differently from women. The best thing to do therefore is to go back to Islam's primary sources (Quran and hadith) and interpret for yourself and pray that God guides you. Allahu Alaam-God knows best.
Post a Comment