Salaam alaikum,
I'm finally giving in and talking about the topic that is pretty much mandatory to discuss at some point or another in Muslim womens' blogs: hijab. For the sake of clarity, when I say "hijab" in this article I will be referring to the whole concept of modesty, inner and outer. The headscarf will be called a "khimar" and the outer garment will be called "jilbab" (whether this is in the form of an abaya, a long coat, a chador, a pardesu, a long skirt, a long shirt or dress over pants, etc.).
I personally love wearing hijab. I love knowing that I am following a commandment of ALLAH, and Alhamdulillah it has not been much of a struggle for me. Also, I think I look a lot prettier wearing a khimar and jilbab than without, if I do say so myself. :)
I believe that hijab is required of Muslim women, but I also believe that, going along with the "no compulsion in religion" verse in the Qur'an, hijab must not be forced on women. If you're not going to wear it for yourself (and, more importantly, for ALLAH) and are only wearing it because someone is telling you you have to, why wear it at all?
Insha'Allah, I would like to try and wear niqab someday. I am of the opinion that it is highly recommended, but not obligatory (whereas I believe wearing a khimar and jilbab is obligatory). I don't think it would be a feasible idea now since I'm in college, but Insha'Allah I'll buy a niqab and try wearing it around Boston (where I go to school) one of these days.
One of the main reasons why women say that wearing hijab is obligatory is to protect themselves against men staring at them and to not tempt men. This, to me, is perfectly reasonable and understandable. Believe me, I've had plenty of creepy guys cat-call at me and do jerky things, and I've noticed that these incidents have decreased since I started observing hijab. However, I sometimes feel annoyed when some women keep emphasizing the point about how we need to cover ourselves because of men. I think we need to give men some credit; sure, there are some pervs out there that will get turned on by anything, but there are waaaay more men who have self-control. It seems like these women assume that all men are out to degrade them, and that if they don't wear hijab then they'll definitely be harassed or worse (Audhubillah, ALLAH protect us). Again, I don't think this is true. In my opinion, I wear hijab primarily because it is what ALLAH wants for me, and I feel peace in the satisfaction I get in knowing that I am doing this for ALLAH. I also wear it because it lets the whole world know that I am a Muslim (I think it says in the Qur'an that women should wear hijab so that they may be recognized (as Muslims) and not annoyed). It also serves as a very physical reminder to myself that I am a Muslim, and thus need to behave in a certain way. In this way, I equate hijab to the kippahs/yarmulkes and tzitzit (fringes) that Jewish men wear; they wear the kippah as a physical reminder that ALLAH is above them, and the tzitzit are there as a reminder to follow ALLAH's commandments.
I know that there are many Muslim women who do not wear hijab for whatever reason. It is not my place at all to judge; only ALLAH knows what is in peoples' hearts. Perhaps some women do not feel that it is obligatory. Some women might not be ready to observe it yet. Other women might want to wear it but is prevented from doing so for some reason. I know that when I am back in my hometown, I can't wear hijab because of the situation with my parents. This doesn't mean that I don't want to wear it, but if a Muslim saw me they might look down upon me for not wearing it. It's all a matter of perspective. Just because some people don't wear it now doesn't mean they never will. As Muslim sisters, all we can do is encourage and help each other in the best way possible.
I don't want to end this post without mentioning hijab for men. Guys, you aren't off the hook for dressing modestly! Remember to cover AT LEAST from your navel to your knee, but preferably wear long pants, long shirts (so us ladies won't be tempted to stare at your chests!), and a cap, as Prophet Muhammad (saw) did. And don't forget a beard!
And for everyone: Before any mention of clothing, ALLAH said in the Qur'an for men and women to LOWER OUR GAZES. Observing hijab with our eyes and hearts is much more important than the clothes hijab!
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Creating Advanced tip with Swagbucks9 years ago
-
-
Pembuatan SKA10 years ago
-
Affordable Dining Room Furniture10 years ago
-
-
-
Butterfly (2015)11 years ago
-
-
Ginger Wedang (Sarebba)11 years ago
-
Advice11 years ago
-
-
Are you still following me?12 years ago
-
Confession12 years ago
-
-
Weight Loss Roadblocks12 years ago
-
-
I think I'll just move it13 years ago
-
Elegant hijab look13 years ago
-
Nostalgia13 years ago
-
A Mercy to Mankind13 years ago
-
-
saveoursunnah is under maintenance14 years ago
-
chickenxlicken is under maintenance14 years ago
-
Education for New Mothers14 years ago
-
-
-
I was bored...15 years ago
-
New Blog15 years ago
-
Ramblings15 years ago
-
Sorry I have not posted in a long time15 years ago
-
Reality Check15 years ago
-
How are things?16 years ago
-
Goodbye.16 years ago
-
My New Blog16 years ago
-
go on hiatus16 years ago
-
Closing Time16 years ago
-
Survey I Stumbled Upon (:16 years ago
-
So...16 years ago
-
I'm a Copy Cat16 years ago
-
The Velvet Promise16 years ago
-
imaginary clothes17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

9 comments:
Assalamu Alaikum sis, Hijab is a topic that needs to be discussed over and over again. Covering is made mandatory for the women of this UMMAH. Its not an option or a choice. Wearing hijab is a beautiful thing and alhumdulilah, a sense of freedom for the muslim woman. I remember not wearing hijab, but now...its beautiful. I come from a non-muslim family. I know the hardship that comes with praying, wearing hijab, covering, and etc. I know...I go through it, but I try strengthening my iman and keep it up. I listen to lectures by Sister Laila Nasheeba at SunnahFollowers.net...her classes are free. Do you parents know you're Muslim? What are you going to do when you have kids, insha'ALLAH and marry a Muslim man? Are you going to hide this from your parents?
I like how you compared the hijab to tzitzit in Judaism. When we are wearing something that identifies us as a God-fearing person in public, I think it really does help us align our actions to God's commandments. Its such a small thing, but it does make a huge difference.
Interesting piece. I used to live in Boston ( went to Suffolk U.) I miss Beantown sometimes aww!
FeministMuslima: My parents don't know I'm Muslim, and for now I can't tell them for several reasons. Insha'Allah by the time I am married and have kids, they will know (there's no way I can hide the fact that I have a Muslim husband and kids, it's not fair to them, my parents, or myself).
Stacy aka Fahiima: I love the idea of the kippah and tzitzit, and I think that hijab fits in with this idea quite well.
Hijabee: I love Boston so much! I would love to stay here after I finish college, but it's so darn expensive! :(
The battle of the hijab is an on going thing. That is what a friend told me. She said is it a constant struggle throughout life and our relationship with it will change many times. But dont wear it if you dont believe in it.
I think converts often have to deal with the "two lives" scenario. I know I will never be able to wear a scarf infront of my parents unless they are at an islamic gathering. It just wont happen, they will find it unecessary and uncomfortable. Its not worth an argument or alienation so I will most likely comply. Its too bad though I LOVE it! But really Im able to wear hijab without a scarf all the time, even if my mom constantly asks me if my shirts are dresses :)
Salaam!
Loved your post, just wanted to let you know about a giveaway I'm running on my blog, to win a free abaya! Details here:
http://hijabstyle.blogspot.com/2010/01/january-giveaway.html
I love your post *_*
it brought tears into my eyes...
what i loved the most is this "Again, I don't think this is true. In my opinion, I wear hijab primarily because it is what ALLAH wants for me, and I feel peace in the satisfaction I get in knowing that I am doing this for ALLAH. I also wear it because it lets the whole world know that I am a Muslim "
people always love to find "the reason" behind everything... and the true goal of Islam (as it [literally] implies) is to submit your self to Allah SWT and to his commands... with no questioning... again.. I admire that in you so much..
and I'll always pray for you to always stay that way :)
I love you ♥♥
Anne mashAllah ur eimaan mkes me so happy and trust me ure an inspiration for all muslimahs!!! may Allah swt help n proyect u and reward u abundantly for ur efforts, Ameen!
Post a Comment