Salaam alaikum,
So for the past week I've been off from college on Christmas break. Alhamdulillah, it's always nice to get some rest and not have to worry about deadlines and putting effort into things. :)
It's always nice to come home and see my family and friends, to stuff my face with food whenever I want, to sleep late, to have my parents pay for things. As great as this all is, there are some things I really can't stand about being at home, enough so that I sometimes wish that I didn't ever have to come home. These all have to do with me being a Muslim.
At school, I pray all five prayers (and some sunnah prayers) on time. I can fast whenever I'm able. I wear hijab and am slowly but surely incorporating jilbab into my wardrobe. I read and listen to Qur'an. I attend the masjid at least once a week. I hang out with primarily other Muslim ladies at my college. I eat only dhabiha and kosher meats, and I avoid alcohol. I liberally pepper my conversations with the phrases "Alhamdulillah", "Masha'Allah", "Subhanallah", "Astaghfirullah", "Insha'Allah", etc. I am openly Muslim and I am proud.
At home, I can do none of these things.
The hardest thing to do by far is keep up with my prayers. Alhamdulillah, I have been able to keep all five prayers and pray them on time (except for when I forget to wake up for fajr and have to pray it late, Astaghfirullah). However, this is definitely no walk in the park. The only place in the house where I have some privacy is in my room, so when it comes time to pray I have to close my door. Even so, my parents interrupt me while I'm in prayer SO often, either by calling me or by knocking on my door. I have no choice but to answer them, because if I didn't they would barge into my room to see what was up and they would catch me praying, and the jig would be up. Then I have to start the prayer all over again, which is so frustrating. To avoid being interrupted numerous times, I have taken to praying the prayers as quickly as possible without leaving anything out. This is definitely not a good way to pray; it loses almost all of its specialness and opportunity to connect with ALLAH, and instead is reduced to a duty that I have to do. Astaghfirullah, I hate that it has to be like this, but I just can't risk my parents catching me in prayer.
When I was home during the summer, Ramadan began. I wouldn't be able to return to school until Ramadan was already half over, meaning that I would have to somehow hide the fact that I was fasting for two weeks. Alhamdulillah, I had a full time job, so I was able to be away from home for most of the day; when I got home it was usually almost time for maghrib, so I was fine. There was one time, though, when I didn't have work and my mom was having a dinner party during the day, so I actually had to put food in my mouth and then discreetly spit it out (I think I ended up swallowing some food despite my efforts). Alhamdulillah, I got through it, but I am NOT looking forward to this year's Ramadan, when it will start even earlier in the summer and I will be home for almost all of it. Needless to say, I will not be able to fast tomorrow in honor of Ashura.
Hijab is totally out of the question here at home. One of the things my mom dislikes most about Islam is the way Muslim women dress, because it is "oppressive" and "chauvinist". I have a hijab with me that I wear for salat, and whenever I leave the house without my family or any chance of them seeing me I wear it. It literally makes me sad, though, when I'm out with them and I see a Muslim family and I can't say salaam to them, and they won't even know that I'm Muslim.
My parents don't buy halal or kosher meat, and they put alcohol in a lot of their dishes. I can't not eat the food because they will become suspicious. I don't have as much of a problem eating non-dhabiha meats (I didn't start eating exclusively dhabiha until a few months ago), but I feel just awful eating foods that I know have alcohol in them. I try to eat as little of it as possible and then pray for forgiveness afterwards.
Alhamdulillah, about a week ago I was out by myself, and I was able to sneak a trip to the local masjid and pray asr there. It felt so good to be among other Muslims again, although it was a little weird since I was not only the only white person there but also the only one wearing jeans.
Wow, I just read over this and it totally sounds like a major "bitchfest". I really don't mean to complain, but sometimes I just get so frustrated. Astaghfirullah that I am not able to practice Islam as well as I would like to, and Astaghfirullah that I feel like I have to lie to my parents. I will be so relieved when the time comes where I can tell them about my new life and be proud of it, and Insha'Allah they will not be hostile; maybe they will even be inspired enough to explore Islam for themselves and accept it (ALLAHu Alim).
Do any of you, especially the converts out there, have any issues in practicing your religion in front of your family?
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Creating Advanced tip with Swagbucks9 years ago
-
-
Pembuatan SKA10 years ago
-
Affordable Dining Room Furniture10 years ago
-
-
-
Butterfly (2015)11 years ago
-
-
Ginger Wedang (Sarebba)11 years ago
-
Advice11 years ago
-
-
Are you still following me?12 years ago
-
Confession12 years ago
-
-
Weight Loss Roadblocks12 years ago
-
-
I think I'll just move it13 years ago
-
Elegant hijab look13 years ago
-
Nostalgia13 years ago
-
A Mercy to Mankind13 years ago
-
-
saveoursunnah is under maintenance14 years ago
-
chickenxlicken is under maintenance14 years ago
-
Education for New Mothers14 years ago
-
-
-
I was bored...15 years ago
-
New Blog15 years ago
-
Ramblings15 years ago
-
Sorry I have not posted in a long time15 years ago
-
Reality Check15 years ago
-
How are things?16 years ago
-
Goodbye.16 years ago
-
My New Blog16 years ago
-
go on hiatus16 years ago
-
Closing Time16 years ago
-
Survey I Stumbled Upon (:16 years ago
-
So...16 years ago
-
I'm a Copy Cat16 years ago
-
The Velvet Promise16 years ago
-
imaginary clothes17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5 comments:
Ok, so I have read your older posts on how you were introduced to Islam. So obviously your parents know that you have been pondering Islam for a number of years. They just don't know that you are now a practicing Muslim.
What is your parents' background and level of religiousness? It doesn't sound like they know any Muslims personally, and this doesn't help them gain a positive view of the religion.
One thing that might help them would to be get to know Muslims as people, and not just as a religious entity that is "other" to them. Books and websites can help too, but I think that knowing other Muslims will make it easier to "come out" as a Muslim.
I'm sorry that you have such a hard time even getting the privacy necessary to pray ;-(
Don't give up and it will get easier inshaAllah.
Assalamu alaikum ya ukhti,
Of course I have these same problems. Parents try to walk in on prayers, not eating pork at my family's house, wearing hijab, my dad doesn't know so of course I have to leave my Arabic words out of conversation. I'm currently in a very small town in Arkansas with my dad's family I'm having to explain why I wear hijab without telling them I'm Muslim, plus trying to find a place to pray?!
I think most converts have these issues, but inshaAllah we will be patient and be rewarded :-)
Stacy/Fahiima: My dad is Presbyterian and goes to church every Sunday. My mom is Jewish and hasn't attended synagogue since she was a kid, and never actually observes any holidays or laws. I think my dad works with some Muslims, and for his work he has traveled to Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq, among other countries. So I know that he is definitely aware of Islam and Muslims. I don't really have a problem with my dad, since he is in general a very calm, tolerant guy (Alhamdulillah), and since he knows about Islam I think he will take the news fine (sure, he'll be very disappointed, especially since I used to go to church with him all the time, but he'll probably be tolerant of my new beliefs). My mom, on the other hand, is not familiar with Islam besides what she sees on television. She knows one Muslim, but I don't think she practices much (ALLAHu Alim), and I think she converted after marrying her husband (so my mom probably thinks that she converted just to please her husband). I have tried giving her books to read, but she doesn't seem interested in them.
It's not all bad news, though; a few days ago she asked me if I still wanted to be Muslim, and I said yes. She said "I wish you wouldn't", and I told her that it really wasn't up to her. Surprisingly, she agreed. I know this isn't much, and it definitely doesn't mean that I'm ready to come out to her, but Alhamdulillah it's a start.
Thank you for your kind words. Insha'Allah it will get easier.
NeverEver: We're in the same boat. :)/:( Alhamdulillah, my parents know that I don't eat pork (I haven't for five years), so they don't force me to partake when they eat bacon and ham and stuff. That's great that you are able to observe hijab in front of your family, even if you're not giving the whole truth as to why you're wearing it. That takes a lot of guts, and I wish that I was strong enough to do that.
ALLAH certainly knows our struggles, and Insha'ALLAH if we remain steadfast in our religion ALLAH will reward us for perseverance.
Yes, now I do remember you saying something b4 about having some Jewish background. It sounds like you will at least have an ally with your dad. It might take you awhile to come out officially as a Muslim to your family, but any positive changes that they see in you will speak to them about the religion being a good thing. Let your actions speak for now, and the words will come with time InshaAllah.
Aw hon I totally get it. Its almost impossible to pray at home! I had such a hard time since I spent most of the week in a hotel without my own room. They are ok with me not eating pork though, but I haven't eaten that in years so they may not necessarily associate it with islam.
Be pacient. I've come to learn that in the end you aren't getting a blessing and sometimes you have to do what is best for you and hope eventually they can accept it.
Post a Comment