Saturday, March 20, 2010

Survey! From Maddie/White Anglo Saxon Muslim

Name: Anne

Age: 20

Location: Boston, MA

Background: Half Italian, quarter Irish, quarter German

Spouse (if so, name and background): N/A

How long have you been married?: N/A

Kids? Someday, Insha'Allah. I have the names picked out already. :)

Are you a revert? Yes ma'am!

Have you been to Hajj or Umrah? Someday Insha'Allah.

How many masaajid have you been to? I think seven? But my favorite masjid is the ISBCC in Boston; Masha'Allah it's amazing.

Have you ever been involved with a masjid? I signed up to do a bunch of stuff but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Who are some of your favorite lectures by? Ingrid Mattson is awesome, and I also really like Ustadh Khalil Abu Asmaa.

Who are some of your favorite recitors? Mishary/Rashid is beautiful. One of the alumnae from my school is beautiful, Masha'Allah.

Some of your favorite Islamic books? Islam: Religion of Life by Abdul Wadud Shalabi. I've started a lot, but haven't finished any.

Describe your most memorable Eid: I haven't had many Eids, but I really liked last Eid al-Fitr; I went to Eid salah and then went out to brunch with my friends.

When did you first start fasting? Ramadan 2008.

When did you start hijab? January 2009 part-time, September 2009 full-time.

What's your usual outift like when you go out? Long sweater and long skirt, or a jilbab, with a hijab. Sometimes I wear baggy pants, but I don't own many pairs.

What do you like about blogging? I like sharing my thoughts with others, and getting to "know" other people.

Describe your first feelings wearing hijab
I was a bit nervous, but I was so excited that I was finally wearing one.

How do you pin your hijab? I almost always wear long al-Amira khimars, so no pinning for me. :)

What was on the last prayer mat you made salah on? My little prayer rug.


What's your ideal iftar? Anything with a ton of meat.

What type of adhaan really gets to you? Yusuf Islam's adhan.

What's something that annoys you at Jummah: Folks that won't stop talking, and crying children.

What was the last surah you read? (not recited in salah) I think Surah al-Ankabut.

Do you dry yourself after wudu? No, mostly because I'm too lazy.

Do you brush your teeth for fajr salah? Not generally, unless I'm fasting.

Whats the last Islamic thing you've been involved with? Vague much? :) I went to an Ingrid Mattson lecture a few days ago, and I LOVE HER.

What was the last convention you went to? None, unfortunately.

Have you ever been part of an Islamic matrimonial site? Yes, but I wasn't seriously looking. I took my profile down because I didn't intend to get married, and I didn't want to mislead people that inquired about me.

What color is the rug in the masjid you usually attend? red and gold

Is the masjid you usually attend separated? Men and women pray in the same room, men in front of women. I like it this way best.

Have you ever stood in a minbar? No.

Have you ever washed a dead body before? No.

What's the last thing you ate in the masjid? A chicken panini.

Where's the strangest place you've seen a Muslim working? I can't think of anything.

Have you ever posted a flier in the masjid? No.

Rate your masjid's bathroom: Meh, they could be cleaner.

Have you ever used a bidet for istinja?: No, our masjid isn't that fancy. :)

What's the weirdest thing that happened to you in salah? My mom walked in on me. Thankfully I had time to rip my hijab off before she suspected anything.

Isn't it annoying when the imam tells everyone to shut off their cell phones and someone's phone rings in the middle of salah? Um, yes.

What's some of the best halal food you've had (from a non Muslim country)? Fried chicken and onion rings from Royal Fried Chicken. :)

What was it like when you found out skittles were haram? I never really ate Skittles that much, but I was definitely happy when they became vegetarian.

What's something haram that you think most people don't know? Like Maddie said, talking when the khutbah is being given.

What's the craziest hijabi fashion you've seen? miniskirt and leggings...um, no?

What did you like about this survey?? I love surveys.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha cool survey ... I'm stealing that ;)

LK said...

Haha this is cute.

Muslimah for Jannah said...

Interesting!! :D

My Blog List