Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wow. Major MIA'ing.

Salaam alaikum everyone,

Man, I'm really sorry for not having posted anything in a long time. I've been really busy/too lazy to actually sit down and write a blog post. But today my only class was cancelled, so I have time for an update.

Alhamdulillah, the retreat that I went to a couple weeks ago was terrific. The theme was "Wasatiyyah", or "Justly Balance". We had two amazing (Masha'Allah) imams come in and give us several talks about the importance of moderation in Islam and what it means to be an "ummatan wasatal", or a "balanced nation" (Qur'an 2:143). Subhanallah, Islam is such a reasonable religion, all about taking the "middle path" and not going to any extremes. I took so many notes during the lectures, which I may use to write future posts Insha'Allah. As I listened to these imams speak, I just felt so proud and glad to be a Muslim, and I was reassured that I had made the right life choice.

One of the highlights of the retreat was the "dhikr walk". All the participants bundled up in our coats and gloves (it was freezing out) and went for a walk throughout the campsite. The entire time we were all silently making dhikr to ourselves. The walk culminated with us walking out onto a frozen lake (this lake was really frozen, like enough to drive a car on it without fear of cracking the ice). It was a beautiful experience, especially as we were all standing out on the lake and one of the brothers called the adhan. It was during the dhikr walk at the retreat last year where I had my spiritual epiphany; unfortunately, this year's walk wasn't nearly as emotional as last year's, but it was nonetheless a lovely way to get closer to ALLAH.

On to school...it's been really busy, but Alhamdulillah not unbearably so. I'm taking four classes, but I really like all of them, so I'm actually willing to do the readings for them. :P I've also been crazy busy filling out applications for studying abroad this summer. Since I'm an East Asian Studies major with a focus on China, I'm hoping to study Chinese in Beijing this summer Insha'Allah. I'm in the 300-level Chinese class at school, but going to China will help my speaking and listening skills immensely. If I don't get into this program, I will either have to apply for an internship or go back to my parents' house and find a summer job. I'm really hoping that I don't have to do the latter (I was with them last summer and it was absolutely awful, especially in terms of hiding my prayers and fasts), but I might not have a choice (I also could really use the money a summer job would bring). Insha'Allah, it will all work out for the best.

On an exciting note, Insha'Allah I'm going to the US Virgin Islands in May for a vacation! At my school in honor of Black History Month, the Black Student Union was hosting a Jeopardy contest with all the questions about the history, culture, etc. about Africa and the African diaspora. I am a huge fan of trivia, so I decided to enter the competition. Alhamdulillah, I won the final round, and the prize was a trip for two to the Virgin Islands for five days! Masha'Allah wa Tabarak ALLAH!!! So, Insha'Allah, my best friend Rachel and I will be heading down there for five lazy days of the beach, eating, and chilling out. I'm obviously psyched for the Virgin Islands part of it, but I'm also super glad that I get to spend time with Rachel, since she goes to another college out of state and I hardly ever get to see her.
(note: I just noticed that whenever I typed "Islands", I automatically typed "Islam" first. Masha'Allah. :) )

That's all I have going on for now. Spring break is in a couple weeks, and I'm looking forward to being a complete bum and hanging out with my other best friend Tiffanie (for the record, I have three best friends: Rachel, Tiffanie, and Laila). I'll try to be better about updating this more frequently. And LK, I will get around to doing that "Seven Things" post you tagged me for, Insha'Allah.

Salaams everyone!

4 comments:

NeverEver said...

mashaAllah to everything dear!

so good to get an update from you. :-)

The virgin Islands???/ mashaAllah that is cool. Have fun dear one, and bis-salamah!!

She's Reaching said...

LOVE THIS!!!

MashaAllah on the Virgin Islands trip and the dhikr walk.

Dee said...

Wow, you are so lucky, lol! I wish we could have Islamic retreats like that here! Chinese is a beautiful language. I love listening to Chinese speakers. It's so ancient, i love it!

Banana Anne said...

Thanks all! I'm really excited about my vacation; I've never been to the tropics before; I've never even been to Florida! :P
@DD: Yes, Chinese is a beautiful language, Masha'Allah, but it can be pretty difficult to learn.

My Blog List