Salaam alaikum!
It seems that there's been a lot of posts recently about hijab, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon with one myself. The question is simple: What's your favorite hijab type or style? Are you a shayla girl? Or more of a pashmina woman? Or perhaps a lover of al-Amiras? Do you like lots of embroidery or decoration, or do you prefer solid colors? Do you like bright colors, earth colors, pastels, or plain old black and white? Do you prefer satin, cotton, silk, georgette, polyester? I want to know it all! Anyone can answer this question, whether they're a hijabi or not.
My personal favorite style is the long al-Amira khimar (stomach length) in solid colors. They are so darn easy to put on, and you don't ever have to screw around with pins or worry about it slipping off. It also covers the chest well, which is very important to me. When I'm feeling a bit more adventurous, I will wear square or triangular cotton hijabs with either floral or geometric patterns. As much as I think shaylas and pashminas are gorgeous, they just are too annoying to work with and keep looking nice throughout the day. I don't even wear silk scarves because they slip right off my very straight, very smooth hair (I would definitely have to wear an underscarf).
This is what I wear on a daily basis, usually in cream or white.
http://www.alhannah.com/images/products/hi/111/detail.jpg
Friday, March 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Creating Advanced tip with Swagbucks9 years ago
-
-
Pembuatan SKA10 years ago
-
Affordable Dining Room Furniture10 years ago
-
-
-
Butterfly (2015)11 years ago
-
-
Ginger Wedang (Sarebba)11 years ago
-
Advice11 years ago
-
-
Are you still following me?12 years ago
-
Confession12 years ago
-
-
Weight Loss Roadblocks12 years ago
-
-
I think I'll just move it13 years ago
-
Elegant hijab look13 years ago
-
Nostalgia13 years ago
-
A Mercy to Mankind13 years ago
-
-
saveoursunnah is under maintenance14 years ago
-
chickenxlicken is under maintenance14 years ago
-
Education for New Mothers14 years ago
-
-
-
I was bored...15 years ago
-
New Blog15 years ago
-
Ramblings15 years ago
-
Sorry I have not posted in a long time15 years ago
-
Reality Check15 years ago
-
How are things?16 years ago
-
Goodbye.16 years ago
-
My New Blog16 years ago
-
go on hiatus16 years ago
-
Closing Time16 years ago
-
Survey I Stumbled Upon (:16 years ago
-
So...16 years ago
-
I'm a Copy Cat16 years ago
-
The Velvet Promise16 years ago
-
imaginary clothes17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

13 comments:
aw mashaAllah it is very modest! Almost like a chador.
I can't staaaannnd Amira's though. They look goofy on me and they feel even weirder.
I am a diehard pashmina fan. Honestly I have more problems with keeping the Amira in place than a scarf.
I wrap my scarf in a way that allows for a triangle to drap on your back and also I triangle across your chest. As long as your scarf is wide enough, the triangle in front should go down a little past the belly button. Like where men's tie's usually go, lol.
You know, I haven't seen anyone else wear it this way, and I can't figure out why because it is so easy, lol. Maybe I should do a tutorial! :-P
I absolutely love Pashminas too, but they are way too thick once the weather warms up. I definitely like cooler weather better for hijabs.
I looove pashminas, as in rectangular scarves with a soft feel and a fringe. I can wrap them with just one pin and they usually sit on my head fairly neatly. The only issue is the heat. . . I don't like shaylas, as in the same thing with a different fabric, because any fabric that doesn't fit the pashmina category tends to slip around or just out instead of lying smoothly on my head.
I also love square scarves, which I wear with one tail pinned behind my head and the other at the opposite shoulder. (: I probably prefer this style to pashminas, but I find it hard to get right and get a bit annoyed with using three pins. . . Pashminas are much better when they're not choking me. :B
I hate amiras. HATE. All the ones I have are way too short, and I suspect they are for little girls. :/ And they slip around way too much. . . I have a prayer outfit that always falls off my head when I go into sujood. NOT. COOOOOOL. I'll just use the undercaps, thanks. (And even then, I prefer bandannas. . . I have a giant collection from back when I had short hair and wore them as cute headbands XD)
Sorry for the novel of a reply.
I have recently become fond of the square scarf, I feel it looks better on me. However, you have to fuss with it more. The shayla/ rectangle scarf stays in place better but isnt as good for my face unless I use an underscarf or headband to break up the space. They just make my face look that much more round.
i'm a fan of pashmina but they're kinda heavy and i live in a hot country :S.. so i prefer more to use abaya and shayla (or as we call it -tarha-)
about the embroidery, mmmmm i would prefer something elegance yet simple.. really if i had the money i'd own more than 10 abayas... hehehe.... nice post and i think ur style is the most practical .. i like it
I like the look of those long al-amiras, but mostly on others. I got one from Egypt and it just doesn't look good on me... And either way, the material is weird and makes loots of weird swooshy noises in my ears so I wouldn't even be able to wear them!
I finally ordered al-amiras though online last week and should get them early next week! :D I will get to see what people are talking about!
I love everything! I frequently go to Clair's or Vanity for scarves and have ended up with a variety of rectangle and square scarves in various colors and prints but I must say my current favorite is my blue and silver and black tiger stripe hijab. :) LOL I definatly look like a punk-rocker in that one. :) haha.I definatly don't like amira hijabs except for work.
salaam alaikum,
personally, I'm much more of a pashmina or cotton (sometimes polyester) shayla girl, sometimes I wear square scarves, and sometimes (especially when I'm having one of those "I don't want to fuss at ALL with my scarf" days) I wear a long al-amira like you, except mine is black (I really want to invest in more colors). I have all sorts of scarves, patterned, plain, embroidered, glittery, you name it. I own WAY too many scarves (I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said over 100), and as such I find that I wear certain ones much more frequently than others. My scarf collection is rather embarrassing, actually. I'm thinking of doing some spring cleaning and giving away some of my scarves and some of my abayas/skirts/long tunics that I no longer want/need to sisters who will actually get some use out of them.
Salam aleikum,
nice post you wrote about. I just happen to be off to Jordan and got a chance to get some more hijabs. My favorites are at the moment very simple two/part lycra hijabs, I don\t know what\s their official name.. Very easy to use, surely not slip off and found in many combinations.
Unfortunetly, i don't suit the most basic colours out there: black and white, lol! But i do ok in neutral, natural colours like browns and beiges. I don't like square hijabs-they're too much work, hehe. But i like long wide shaylahs that are easy to wrap around your head and which cover your chest. By far, the best hijab out there is the al-Amira. So easy to wear and so modest!
Seems like we've got a lot of diversity going on here! :) As far as al-Amiras go, I agree that they are hit or miss. They look great on some people, but not so good on others, especially the ones with the lacy embroidery that I wear. My friends tell me I look like a little kid when I wear hijab because apparently these lacy al-Amiras are often part of the uniform for Islamic elementary schools. Whatever, though, youthful is good!
A'salaamu alaikum sister. I only wear the tie-back khimar/al-amiras. Look at www.hijabgirl.com and look under the khimar tab. They give a nice peak on the forehead so it doesn't annoy you and they come in different lengths. I wear mine long too down to waist level usually. I tend to wear black, not because I think it's the only halal color; I just like it. :-)
I got my first tie-back khimar on ebay when I bid on an abaya. The first time I put it on I looooved it. All my friends teased me (still do) but I am a low-key kinda gal.
Ma salaama and love your blog...
Salaam alaikum Umm Aaminah,
I know the ones you're talking about; the MSA at my college actually has tie-backs from HijabGirl in our musalla. I love the length of them, but I don't really like the tie-back style because they accentuate the top of my head too much. For some reason, they also tend to not cover the sides of my head near my ears properly, so my hair always sticks out around there when I wear them.
Post a Comment