Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pesach and Remembrance of ALLAH

Currently, Jews all over the world are celebrating Pesach (Passover), the holiday that commemorates ALLAH leading Bani Israil out of slavery in Egypt and away from the evil Pharaoh. My mother is Jewish, as is one of my best friends, and for a time before converting to Islam I studied Orthodox Judaism in depth, so I have been thinking a lot about the story of Pesach lately. Subhanallah, the Qur'an has several narratives about Prophet Musa (as) and Bani Israil, and their story is truly amazing. Bani Israil were forced into slavery by the Egyptians and suffered a "tremendous trial", according to the Qur'an. But of course, ALLAH had a Perfect Plan for them; He sent them Prophet Musa (as) to lead them during their battle for freedom, and He provided for them when they made it out of Egypt and settled in Palestine (and ALLAH is the Best of Providers!) Subhanallah, everything in the story of Musa (as) is truly a miracle. Musa (as) himself was born into a slave family and was threatened (as were all boy babies of Bani Israil) to be killed by Pharaoh, yet ALLAH saved him and had him taken into the house of Pharaoh (and Alhamdulillah, despite Musa (as) being raised by Pharaoh's people, ALLAH reunited Musa (as) with his mother (may ALLAH be pleased with her) as his caretaker). Musa (as) accidentally killed an Egyptian in an attempt to protect a slave, but ALLAH forgave him and protected him from being caught by Egyptian forces. When it came time to escape Egypt, ALLAH opened up the sea for Bani Israil to cross through, restoring it just in time to destroy Pharaoh's army that was chasing after them. Finally, after wandering in the desert and a lot of disobedient, ungrateful behavior by some members of Bani Israil, ALLAH still revealed the Taurat as a guide for Bani Israil until the Injeel (Gospel) and finally the Qur'an were revealed.

I was watching the opening song from "The Prince of Egypt" on Youtube called "Deliver Us". It is sung by the Hebrew slaves as they are toiling away, and they are crying out to ALLAH to save them. I actually started crying as I was listening, because I imagined the pain that Bani Israil must have felt while they were enslaved. I also cried even more remembering that ALLAH did indeed deliver them out of slavery and grant them guidance through the Taurat. I couldn't help but say "Subhanallah" while listening, and I thanked ALLAH for freeing Bani Israil from slavery, sending Musa (as) and Harun (as) as Prophets, and for sending the Taurat as a precursor to the Qur'an so pre-Qur'an generations could have Divine Guidance.

The song clip does show images of Prophet Musa (as) as a baby, as well as images of Prophet Harun (as), Musa (as)'s sister, and Musa (as)'s mother, so avert your eyes if you choose to listen to the song (since Muslims should not be looking at images of Prophets).

3 comments:

AlabasterMuslim said...

Subhanallah, the story of Prophet Musa (as) and Bani Israil (??learned those words from you lol) is one of my favorites.

And I can't lie, I LOVE THAT movie that you are speaking of.

And I've song the songs.

And totally had a crush on the main guy (which you know...is suppose to be a prophet (as) but i'm talking about the character lol).

Stacy K. said...

The story is amazing really. The Bani Yisrail were in Egypt for 400 years, yet they didn't forsake worshiping the 1 true God, and they believed that he would one day set them free.

Maddie said...

We can't look at images of prophets? I'm gonna miss Veggie Tales. ):

My Blog List