Salaam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu everyone!
Insha'Allah I hope everyone has been doing well and is in the best of health and iman.
So I've been doing some thinking lately, and I made a realization about myself. Alhamdulillah, I love Islam, and Alhamdulillah I am pretty good about fulfilling the basic requirements (salat, sunnah prayers, fasting, trying to eat only halal meat, no drinking, khimar and jilbab-type clothes, etc.). However, I feel like I'm lacking the spirituality associated with these acts; that is, I'm doing them, but I am having trouble actually connecting to them and understanding their deeper meaning. When I'm in salah, I often get distracted. I read the Qur'an, but not nearly as often as I would like to. I also don't know much about the life of Prophet Muhammad (saw), which I think is crucial. There's so much I could be doing, but I just don't, Astaghfirullah. However, Insha'Allah, I have decided to change this. I want to become a more Islamically spiritual person, rather than a Muslim who does the requirements but doesn't have any passion for them.
Sometimes people jump into decisions like this headfirst, but I don't think this is a good idea; people may be very ambitious in the beginning, promising to read five surahs a day and praying all the sunnah and nafl prayers and practicing Arabic for an hour each day, but this zeal can burn out fast. Prophet Muhammad (saw) said that it is better to do small things consistently than big things only occasionally, and this makes perfect sense. When someone exercises, they can't just start out running five miles immediately; they need to start out slow and then gradually increase their distance until they can do it comfortably. I think this philosophy is applicable to religion, as well.
Here are my goals. They seem very insignificant, but Insha'Allah I will implement them and they'll become part of my everyday life.
-read the Qur'an for at least five minutes before bed (or more if I'm up for it, but at least five)
-recite the last three surahs after each prayer and before going to bed
-choose at least one prayer each day and recite a special du'a afterwards, either in Arabic or English (I'm thinking either after Isha or Fajr, since this is when I have the most free time)
-try and make dhikr more often, especially when I'm not doing anything (for example, as I'm walking to class I could repeat "Subhanallah" until I arrive); this is very important to me, since ALLAH said in the Qur'an that the remembrance of ALLAH ("dhikrALLAH) is the best thing
-try and say the full greeting to people, i.e. instead of "salaam alaikum", say "salaam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu"; this seems a bit strange to me (Astaghfirullah) since it's so many syllables, and most people just say "salaam alaikum", but a person can receive 30 rewards in Paradise for saying the full greeting. It also has a beautiful meaning, "Peace be upon you and the Mercy of ALLAH and His Blessings".
Insha'Allah, we will all strive to get closer to ALLAH and increase our love for Him, as well as our love for the Prophets (peace be upon them all). Ameen!
Monday, April 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Creating Advanced tip with Swagbucks9 years ago
-
-
Pembuatan SKA10 years ago
-
Affordable Dining Room Furniture10 years ago
-
-
-
Butterfly (2015)10 years ago
-
-
Ginger Wedang (Sarebba)11 years ago
-
Advice11 years ago
-
-
Are you still following me?12 years ago
-
Confession12 years ago
-
-
Weight Loss Roadblocks12 years ago
-
-
I think I'll just move it12 years ago
-
Elegant hijab look13 years ago
-
Nostalgia13 years ago
-
A Mercy to Mankind13 years ago
-
-
saveoursunnah is under maintenance14 years ago
-
chickenxlicken is under maintenance14 years ago
-
Education for New Mothers14 years ago
-
-
-
I was bored...14 years ago
-
New Blog15 years ago
-
Ramblings15 years ago
-
Sorry I have not posted in a long time15 years ago
-
Reality Check15 years ago
-
How are things?15 years ago
-
Goodbye.15 years ago
-
My New Blog16 years ago
-
go on hiatus16 years ago
-
Closing Time16 years ago
-
Survey I Stumbled Upon (:16 years ago
-
So...16 years ago
-
I'm a Copy Cat16 years ago
-
The Velvet Promise16 years ago
-
imaginary clothes17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

7 comments:
A'salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu sis! :-) The Prophet (saws) told us it's better to make small changes we will really stick with than to make sweeping changes we cannot continue.
May Allah grant you success, amin!
ma salalammm
Assalam Alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu=)
I think your plan sounds GREAT!!
I also plan to do so many things at the same time that I get overwhelmed. You should definitely start doing these little things and eventually move on to doing more and mor! InshAllah, Ameen!
There is a dua that just came to my mind and I wanted to share it with you:
Allahuma inni a'oozobika minal hammi wal huzni wa a'oozobika minal ijzi wal kasli wa a'oozobika minal jubni wal bukhli wa a'oozobika min ghalabatid dayni wa qahrir rijaal.
(O Allah, I seek refuge in you from anxiety and sorrow, and I seek refuge in you from laziness and idleness, and I seek refuge in you from miserliness and cowardice, and I seek refuge in you from being overcome by debts and overpowered by men.")
May Allah give you the strength to do all the things that will bring you closer to HIM. Ameen!!
Assalam Alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,
I totally agree with you. We need to take things one at a time. I have overwhelmed myself with doing so many things at once and not sticking to even one=(
A dua comes to my mind that I want to share with you:
Allahuma inni a'oozobika minal hammi wal huzni wa a'oozobika minal ijzi wal kasli wa a'oozobika minal jubni wal bukhli wa a'oozobika min ghalabatid dayni wa qahrir rijaal.
(O Allah I seek refuge in you from anxiety and sorrow, and I seek refuge in you from laziness and idleness, and I seek refuge in you from miserliness and sorrow, and I seek refuge in you from being overcome with debt and overpowered by men."
I hope Allah grants you the strength to do ALL the things that will bring you CLOSER to HIM. Ameen!!!!
That's beautiful! I need to do something similar. Its so easy to spend a whole day with good intentions, but let the time just pass you by. I think that having an attitude of being in constant dua' and dhikr is huge. I think its such a good idea too to start with a reasonable goal such as spending 5 min a day reading Quran. I need to do this with my language studies too so I don't forget everything. Five min is a lot compared to nothing!
Keep us updated on your progress and we'll keep you accountable!
Assalaamu alaykum w rahmatulaahi w barakatu :-)
MashaAllah, sister. Thank you so much for posting this. I can COMPLETELY relate. I am so aware of how deeply I am in need of a deeper spiritual connection in salat, and in life in general, how much disease there is in my heart, and the kicker is that I know how to fix it! (recite quran, make dhikr, make du'a, etc.) But, I just dont seem to have the motivation. I get so distracted. astagfirullah. May Allah grant you success and all of us, Ameen.
And sister Rukhpar, mashaAllah! I love that du'a and I myself have begun reciting it when I feel lonely, as my husband is out of town visiting family and it can get super depressing. :-(
You know, 5 minutes is MORE than an INFINITY times zero. :-D
mashaAllah it sounds like a good plan sis.
Salam aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,
your post was very inspiring and made me also think how I could make my life more spiritual. Small continuing steps are surely better than only a couple of bigger ones. May Allah bless you, sister.
Post a Comment