Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Ramadhan Goals 2010/1431

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu everyone!

Since it seems like a bunch of other bloggers have started discussing Ramadhan, I figured it was time for me to, as well. Like all other Muslims, I have goals for myself that I would like to accomplish during this Holy, Blessed Month of Ramadhan. This year, I have some added challenges, which could either bring great barakah or great problems.

Ramadhan starts in only 8 days, Insha'Allah. I return to college in 32 days. This means that I will be spending roughly two-thirds of Ramadhan in a place where I am forced to hide my beliefs. This means fasting without anyone finding out that I'm doing so; it also means no tarawih prayers, no fancy iftars, and no spending time with my brothers and sisters in Islam during the best month of the year. I am devastated by this, and quite frankly very fearful of how it will turn out. If my parents discover that I'm fasting, the cat will be out of the bag and hell will break loose; the only way for me to fast at all is to do it in secret. The fact that maghrib isn't until around 8:15 p.m. doesn't help either, as my family usually eats dinner together at 5:30.

I have literally been constructing a plan on what to do about this predicament for months; in March and April I signed up and applied for various summer programs that would keep me away from home during Ramadhan, and I either didn't get into them or had to decline because of financial reasons. Once summer came, I tried getting a full-time job and a job in the evening, but Alhamdulillah, I ended up with a part-time job during the day. Now I am looking for volunteer opportunities to do after work and on days that I'm not working. So far, Alhamdulillah, I have a couple volunteer jobs lined up (which will not only get me out of the house, but I will also consider it an act of sadaqa that I can do Insha'Allah). Also, Alhamdulillah, I found out that my parents and sister will be going out of town for two weekends during Ramadhan, during which I will have the house to myself and therefore the freedom to attend tarawih prayers, go to iftars/make my own, purchase halal meat, wear my khimar and jilbab everywhere, etc. Subhanallah, I am so thankful to ALLAH for giving me these opportunities, and Insha'Allah I will make full use of them.

So, given my situation and need to keep things on the down-low, I figured that this is a perfect opportunity for me to focus on the "upper levels" of fasting. It's relatively well-known that the Ramadhan fast applies to not only abstaining from food, drink, and sex, but also abstaining from lying, gossiping, or any "mean talk" about others. Frivolous activities that distract from dhikr and doing good deeds, such as listening to music, watching TV shows that you've seen a million times, etc. should be avoided. These things are all as important, if not more, than the physical fast, and Alhamdulillah are much less conspicuous. There are so many chances to gain blessings and get closer to ALLAH during Ramadhan, and I don't want to waste them.

So here it is:

1. Complete all my fasts (aside from when I have my period) and not break them unless I am absolutely forced to, like if my parents force me to eat something in front of them. This might not seem like a big deal, but unfortunately this year it is to me.

2. Read the entire English translation of the meaning of the Qur'an, one juz per day. This includes listening to the corresponding ayat in Arabic. On www.quranexplorer.com, you can listen to the Qur'an with an English translation of the meaning next to it, with the English highlighted as the corresponding Arabic is recited. This is one of my main goals; Ramadhan is, after all, the month of the Qur'an, and I wish to celebrate this greatest Gift that ALLAH has given to us.

3. Attend tarawih prayers whenever I can. Insha'Allah I will go when my parents are out of town, and Insha'Allah when I return to school I will go to prayers there.

4. Stay up for extra prayers on all potential dates of Laylat al-Qadr, i.e. the 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th, and 29th of Ramadhan.

5. Avoid music, except for non-instrumental nasheeds. Alhamdulillah, I have mostly eliminated non-halal music from my life as a means to get closer to ALLAH, but Insha'Allah I would like to be especially aware of this during Ramadhan.

6. Read more books about Islam. I have several books in my lineup, including "The Sealed Nectar" and "Stories of the Prophets".

7. Practice reading Arabic. I am currently reviewing the letters and sounds, so Insha'Allah I will soon try and start reading the Mushaf.

8. Always keep in mind: What Would Muhammad (saw) Do? Back in the 90s, there was a movement among many Christian youth called "What Would Jesus (as) Do?", which encouraged people to consider how Jesus (as) would act in certain situations (handy bracelets with WWJD? on them served as a reminder). Alhamdulillah, this can easily be applied to Prophet Muhammad (saw) as well. He has left us a complete sunnah for us to follow, and as ALLAH has said in the Qur'an, "Verily in the Messenger of ALLAH you have a good example for whoever hopes for ALLAH and the Last Day, and remembers ALLAH much." (33:21)

Insha'ALLAH, may ALLAH help me complete all these goals and more, and Insha'Allah I will draw closer to my Lord and your Lord, the Loving, the Merciful, the Protecting Friend, the One! Ameen!

15 comments:

NeverEver said...

Allah grant you mercy and strength to make it through this hard time during the blessed month of Ramadhan ameen.

you are in my prayers sister and I hope you have a FANTASTIC Ramadhan despite the road blocks.

<3

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just tell them? Isn't Allah more important???

Banana Anne said...

@ Ever: Jazakallah khair for your du'as. Insha'Allah ALLAH will bless all Muslims with a beautiful, meaningful Ramadhan.

@ Anon: Of course ALLAH is more important. However, even though they don't know, I am not neglecting my Islamic duties or disobeying ALLAH. If I gave up fasting, praying, etc. altogether out of fear that would be a different story, but Alhamdulillah that is not the case. Insha'Allah I will tell them when I am ready. Believe me, it's not easy, and I don't like being in this situation.

Umm Aaminah said...

Salaam sis. I always love your posts. Dear anon, I hope the spirit of Ramadhan helps you change the way you approach other Muslims. Sr. Anne doesn't like hiding this from her parents but for now, this is what she feels she must do. We cannot judge, only Allah.

For me, I didn't hide anything but I was in my 30s for goodness sakes. I was independent (for better or worse! lol) and didn't have to fear being homeless or any other dire situation.

Our sister is struggling in the path of Allah and we should encourage her. Instead of saying, "Isn't Allah more important" try a more helpful approach. Give beautiful advice based on the sunnah of our Prophet saws. Have you forgotten the sahaba had to hide their faith for many years? Subhanallah.

I pray we ALL grow and receive the beautiful blessings of Allah swt this coming month.

Anonymous said...

umm aminah, that is nice advise to our brother annon 1.

i pray for you anne, You are our beloved and respected sister in Islam..

may Allah bless and protect you from bad things and help your parents to be nice with you.also, may allah bless them as well...aameen

my prayers,

American Niqabi said...

Salam alaikum, I hope that everything works out for you this ramadan! :)

Fatima said...

insha'allah you will have a great ramadan! :)

Dee said...

oh oh! the Sealed Nectar is da BOMB! That was the first book i read on Islam and i was hooked from there. I remember it being the best biography i'd ever read. Enjoy ;)

rukhparmor said...

You know, I think I will join you in your endeavors as well...How about we make a little chat group (with other sisters in the blogosphere) and discuss our goals and then meet once or twice a week to see if we accomplished them..?

I really do like all your goals...

thanaya said...

omg anne! this is a tough situation but mashAllah ur zeal and spirit will make thngs easy and smooth for u inshAllah! sister i dont know how to appreciate you because u really are trying very hard mashAllah, may Allah swt help you and reward you ten folds for your efforts, Ameen!

Candice said...

It's a very tough situation, I know. I am "hiding" from a bunch of people and I don't even live with them and it's hard. Just visiting or doing activities in the day and lunch hours at work is hard so having a family who expects you to eat with them for supper and not being able to say it will be difficult. I hope everything goes well for you. I love how you are handling the situation and doing all you can for Allah. Things aren't always easy and some anons don't get it.

Anonymous said...

assalamu alaikum sis anne,
the following is irrelevant,but interesting to watch for a laugh .

this FAKE MUSLIM claimed to be an EX-MUSLIM says he fasted 40 days in ramadan.and fast in arabic is SWAN (SOWM)..
this funny guy is a joker.
watch him on a video : http://www.youtube.com/user/ndabdofari#g/a


also a beautiful nasheed on the video :
boxers who converted to islam

Anonymous said...

assalamu alaikum sis Anne,

one of the best tv channels on ISLAM..a must to watch channel in the month of holy month RAMADAM and other days.

http://www.peacetv.in/watch-live.html

Zaytuni said...

As a biography, I would HIGHLY recommend Muhammad, His Life & Times Based on the Earliest Sources by Martin Lings.
A far superior work to the Sealed Nectar in my opinion.
Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, also does a brilliant commentary to this book if you wanted to listen to it that as you read. let me know if you choose this, I will send you a link for the lectures x

WhiteOrchid said...

May Allah give you the strength to achieve all these gaols in your life withour too many problems :)

My Blog List