Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu everyone!
So I was just reading LK's latest blog post (wheelsamsara.blogspot.com) about hijab, and she asked if anyone had any peculiar/funny/interesting stories about wearing hijab. Alhamdulillah, I am very happy to say that I have never had any discriminatory or bigoted attacks against me for wearing hijab (no cries of "Terrorist!" or "Go back to your country!"). I know this does happen to some people, and I was quite honestly expecting it to happen to me. Perhaps I haven't had this because I live in Boston, a very diverse, collegiate city with many young, open-minded people. The college that I go to is also quite open to diversity and everyone gets along well, Alhamdulillah. Nevertheless, I do have a couple stories to tell. :)
One of the biggest things I've noticed is that I have been approached by a lot more beggars since observing hijab. I'm thinking this may be because people see that I'm religious and therefore more likely to "have pity" on them or to give out charity. I know that if I were begging I would be more likely to ask someone who looked religious. I was visiting Rachel at her school a few months ago, and as we were walking to a restaurant a man and woman came up to me. The man said salaam to me and started talking to me about Islam, and then he asked for money so he could buy food. I don't mind helping out people who ask, but I am very wary about just giving people money since I don't know what they'll do with it. I told him that I would go and buy him some food, and he said he wanted to go to a pizza shop down the street. As we were walking, he saw another, more expensive deli and said he wanted to go there, so we went into the deli and ordered his food. At this point I was getting really creeped out and just wanted to leave, but the owner of the deli was being very slow and rude. The man and woman started yelling at him, and I was urging the owner to hurry up and let me pay so we could leave. I threw the money at him (paying more than I wanted to), and dashed out. Later I realized that the guy had ordered a sandwich with bacon on it. :P
When I was in New York City, I had two people come up to me, both professing to be Muslim. One was an older woman who was crying out in pain saying that she needed medicine for her ulcers. Again, I didn't want to just give her money, so I walked to a Walgreens with her and picked out the medicine with her to make sure she was actually getting ulcer medicine. The lady was actually very nice, Masha'Allah, and I think she was genuinely in need of help, so I didn't feel taken advantage of afterward. Later that day, some really creepy guy came up to me (supposedly a Muslim) and asked me to deliver a message to someone at a bar. I said absolutely not, but he kept talking to me for about 20 minutes about I don't even remember what (some of it involved a murder of a kid). I said I couldn't help him except by making du'a, and then practically ran away from him after he was done talking. I think he was mentally ill or some kind of addict, may ALLAH help him, heal him, and grant him peace of mind.
On a Friday afternoon in Boston, I was walking around the area near the masjid after jummah. I had a container of grilled chicken and rice with me, so I sat down at a busy bus stop to eat. An old woman came up to me and said she was starving and if I would give her money; I offered her my food instead, and she ate it. She then started talking to me about her life, including how she could barely pay rent and a discussion on barbecued ribs and sauces. Then she started asking me about Islam and went right into the questions of whether I was married, why men can have multiple wives, and wasn't I burning up in my hijab and jilbab. I answered the best I can, and also told her to stop by the masjid sometime if she wanted to, and also about the cafe in the masjid that makes (delicious) sandwiches, and even if you don't have money you can still get one. I think she might have also been mentally ill or an addict; she seemed to suffer from memory loss (I had to repeat myself numerous times) and had some anger issues (she yelled at people who walked by).
I have had several people inquire as to what my religion is when I wear hijab. I was wearing a thigh-length, navy blue khimar one day and a few people asked if I was a nun; one thought I was Greek Orthodox (never heard that one before). One day at my school I was wearing a long black skirt and a black maghneh (an Iranian style hijab similar to an al-Amira), and as I walked past the Catholic chaplain's office (a lovely woman who is also a nun) she said, "Man, you look like a nun!"
Another day, I was walking in the neighborhood of the masjid, which is pretty run-down and ghetto. On my way to a bookstore, I passed one man, a total stranger, who smiled and said "Assalaamu alaikum sister". That just made me feel really good, knowing that even though we were strangers we were still bound together through our faith. Later, I passed by another man, who actually stopped walking and BOWED to me, and told me never to change. I don't have an explanation for that one.
At the airport on my way to the Virgin Islands with Rachel, I ducked into the bathroom to put on my hijab and jilbab after my parents dropped us off. We then went through security, and, lo and behold, I was "randomly selected" to get extra screening. It was kind of funny, actually; I almost took it as a "rite of passage" into the world of hijabis. :) There are not many Muslims in the Virgin Islands, and I think I only saw one other hijabi the entire time I was there. A lot of the local people stopped to ask me questions about my faith. A taxi driver asked if I was Jewish, and I told him I was Muslim. He then asked if I believed in the Messiah, and I said yes, I believe that Jesus (as) was a prophet and will return to Earth again one day. The Virgin Islands is very strongly Christian, and the main question people asked of me was what I thought about Jesus (as). I think they were glad (and maybe relieved?) to know that I believe in him and that he will come again to the world. On the beach, one woman asked me a lot of questions about Islam, including "So is Islam a good religion?" All I did was smile and say something like, "Yes, I love it."
All in the day in the life of a hijabi. :)
Monday, July 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Creating Advanced tip with Swagbucks9 years ago
-
-
Pembuatan SKA10 years ago
-
Affordable Dining Room Furniture10 years ago
-
-
-
Butterfly (2015)10 years ago
-
-
Ginger Wedang (Sarebba)11 years ago
-
Advice11 years ago
-
-
Are you still following me?12 years ago
-
Confession12 years ago
-
-
Weight Loss Roadblocks12 years ago
-
-
I think I'll just move it12 years ago
-
Elegant hijab look13 years ago
-
Nostalgia13 years ago
-
A Mercy to Mankind13 years ago
-
-
saveoursunnah is under maintenance14 years ago
-
chickenxlicken is under maintenance14 years ago
-
Education for New Mothers14 years ago
-
-
-
I was bored...14 years ago
-
New Blog15 years ago
-
Ramblings15 years ago
-
Sorry I have not posted in a long time15 years ago
-
Reality Check15 years ago
-
How are things?15 years ago
-
Goodbye.15 years ago
-
My New Blog16 years ago
-
go on hiatus16 years ago
-
Closing Time16 years ago
-
Survey I Stumbled Upon (:16 years ago
-
So...16 years ago
-
I'm a Copy Cat16 years ago
-
The Velvet Promise16 years ago
-
imaginary clothes17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

13 comments:
Assalamu alaeikum
Alhamdulillah sister,
one of the best posts.
may allah grant you jannah for your efforts ...aameen.
ma'ssalaama..
Aw I love your stories. Ive actually had a lot of people come up to me and ask for money when Im in a scarf too. Its so strange. It could be the neighborhood the masjid is in for circle but Im not sure. Its happened in my neighborhood when I use to wear it all the time outside of work.
I'm glad no one has yelled out horrible things at you. Maybe things are better for Muslims in America than I thought. Or maybe my experience is not as common.
I LOVED your hijab stories!
do you mind if I pass on the link on one of my hijab pages?
@ Anonymous: Jazakallah khair for your kind words!
@ LK: Yeah, I think it really depends on where you are in the country, or even what neighborhood you're in. But maybe, Insha'Allah, Muslims are just becoming a more common sight and knowledge of Islam is more widespread, so people are less likely to say hurtful things.
@ Tuttie: Sure, feel free to link it!
A'salaamu alaikum sis. Just wondering where you found a magneh? I wear the big tie-back khimars which kinda resemble a magneh. I've always wanted to try one. :-)
Once I was driving past the local Catholic school, looked in the mirror, and realized my white underscarf/dark blue amira combo made me resemble a nun. I never wore that again!
ma salaama.
@ Umm Aaminah: I found the maghneh at a little Islamic clothing store in Boston right near the ISBCC. I haven't seen them there recently, but I love mine (I love the "Iranian schoolgirl" look, lol). Another blogger and Islamic clothes shop owner, Umm Ibrahim, is actually going to Iran in a few days Insha'Allah, and I put in an order with her to pick me up a few maghnehs and a manteau. I love the maghneh/long khimar style; they're so simple, super covering, and really practical. I don't really like the ones that tie behind the head, though, because on me they tend to slip back a lot.
Anne: are those the cotton hijabs that you have stitched to your face shape? Like they dont stitch the front seam up you do it yourself so it fits properly? If so they are really cute! A friend of mine wears one all the time.
@LK: Those might be the ones. I know that when I bought mine the face hole was really tiny, and the woman at the shop had me put it on and then cut the seam until it fit my face properly. Basically they're like the ones that you see young Marjane wearing at school in "Persepolis". :)
Super interesting, thanks for sharing!
Assalamo Alaikom
That is super exciting :). About the two men, one who said "assalamo alaikom" and the other bowing.. I dunno how to put it in words. But that's simply amazing :). It's as you put it. Connecting through faith. Mashallah. I'd love to have discussions like those.
Have a nice day :).
Salam Banana Anne , Its so nice to hear about your experiences :) I often share them with my family, I hope thats okay..
MashaALlah, I'm really glad to hear that your experience has been positive. :) I've had some seriously weird ones in my life, one of which involved me taking an interview with a very, very elderly doctor for a news magazine, and in the middle of a sentence, he looks at me and says "You know, a naked girl on the beach in Cannes has nothing on you?" I sputtered "Excuse me?"
"Your beauty, it is in your mystery." He smiled, but in a totally non-creepy way, and then went on with the interview as if nothing happened at all. 0_0
salaams sister! it is through abez's blog that i learned of ur space here... mashAllah its enlightening and fun how you write abt ur experiences! and abt the hijab, sister i live in pakistan and yet ppl have the strangest of questions and concepts about the hijab and the jilbaab! ofcourse its more easily accepted as compared to the non-muslim countries, but i guess these different points of view offer us some challenges and makes donning our garb more purposeful... loved your blog mashAllah! happy writing inshAllah!
Post a Comment