Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Clothes I Would Actually Wear

Salaam alaikum!

I know I said that my next post would be about the situation with my family, but I am feeling lazy/more in the mood to write about clothes. :)

Alhamdulillah, I started wearing hijab in January of 2009. Before I converted I gradually replaced all my t-shirts and shorts with long pants, long sleeved shirts, and long skirts (not so many long skirts, though, since my mom hates them and said I couldn't wear them more than twice a week). When I got to college, I realized that hijab is more than just wearing a headscarf, which is what I thought all along. Even though my sleeves and pants were long, they still weren't really hijab-appropriate; they were both pretty tight and showed off too much of my shape. I started to throw short dresses on over my shirts and jeans, and made sure the headscarf was a little longer. As time has passed, I've been wearing more skirts, wider pants, and longer dresses and coats. Someday, Insha'Allah, I would like to wear jilbab all the time over my other clothes because I believe this is the way ALLAH wants me to dress. I can't make any major wardrobe changes now (I am a jobless college student, after all), so Alhamdulillah I am making due with the clothes I already have and two jilbabs that I recently bought.

If playing/winning the lottery was halal (or if I found another huge source of money without actually having to work for it), here are the clothes I would blow my money on (these and many other things, surely):

http://www.myhijabshop.com/images/blackHoodAbaya3.jpg

Really casual, just as I like it, and it looks super comfortable.

javascript:CaricaFoto('http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/shukr_2080_5758366')

A corduroy jilbab is on the top of my list of clothing items to buy. It never goes out of style.

http://hijabistyleseeking.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/wo3002-vintage-wash-2-inset.jpg

Denim jilbabs are also on the top of my list.

Anything from Shukr, really. I am all about plain, classic styles, and Shukr fits it perfectly. I'm not too fond of satin abayas with all the bling on them; give me cotton and denim anyday.

More later, Insha'Allah.

7 comments:

Maddie said...

I hate satin bling abayas. I wear patterns and stuff with the clothes I wear now (and I don't know if I will ever wear full-time abaya/jilbab, because I'm not sure I believe in it), but that still isn't my style. Shukr has lovely clothing but is SO expensive! ):

Stacy K. said...

That's weird that your mom doesn't like the long skirts. My mom loves them and I even bought her some last time i was back in Minnesota.
Its funny to think that about 50 yrs ago it was still considered scandalous for women to wear pants and now the opposite is more true.

Anonymous said...

As salam alaykum Sister,
I really like the 1st one you picked :)

I personally love my black abayat. Long skirts, loose tunic tops, wide pants and jackets aren't my style at all, so I love the fact that when I'm wearing abaya I can still be "ME" you know and wear whatever I want underneath it.

LK said...

I love Shukr. Great store.

Banana Anne said...

@Madiha-Shukr is totally expensive; unfortunately, that's why this has to be a hypothetical situation. :( And the concept of hijab can be fulfilled many ways, so wearing an abaya is not necessary. :)
@Stacy-I know, it's wild how much the times change. I think my mom doesn't like them because she sees them as something "conservative religious people" wear, and she doesn't want me to be one of them.
@Hijab Chic-I know, that first one is awesome! And abayat are definitely ideal for when you really want to wear that new pair of skinny jeans out!
@LK-Shukr is awesome. I was inspired by your post on the "comfy thobe" to write this.

@Everyone-Sorry that the pictures didn't show up and that the links weren't attached. I still have a few kinks to work out with this blogging business.

Anonymous said...

I like Target :)
They have great dresses in the summer.

LK said...

I want a sweatshirt abaya...so awesome.

If you want a place that actually isn't expensive try desertstore.com. I have 2 abayas from there and love them. Only issue is it takes 4-6 weeks to get your order because it comes from Saudi Arabia. But the shipping is inexpensive. They have some abayas for as low as $35! I bought the $35 one as a gift and its really lovely.

shukr can be expensive. I watch for their sales. I LOVE their long skirts. Amazing quality, I haven't seen anything like them in any other store.

My Blog List