Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy Anniversary!

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu everyone!

On December 31, 2008, I officially said the shahadah. I was a freshman in college and had been praying for about 3 months at that point, and I also had fasted for Ramadhan. During all of my prayers, however, when it came time for the tashahud I would always internalize the shahadah and never say it out loud. My mom had threatened a while back that if I became a Muslim while in school, they would stop paying for it and I would have to drop out, and I was afraid that they would really follow through on this. I was also putting it off for my own insecurities; I knew that once you said the shahadah out loud, there was no going back. It's not that I didn't accept Islam (heck, I was praying five times a day), but I feared that saying those words out loud meant that I would be expected to practice every part of Islam perfectly from then on.

December 31 is Tiffanie's birthday, and every year I go over to her house to spend the night, eat cake, watch bad television, and ring in the new year. It was about 15 minutes before midnight, and I excused myself from the living room to go into Tiffanie's room to say a special prayer for the new year. At that point, as I was praying, I decided that there really wasn't any point to putting it off, and why not start off the new year as an "official" Muslim? So alone in Tiffanie's dark bedroom, a few minutes before midnight, I took my shahadah. There were no witnesses but ALLAH. I had watched Youtube videos of people taking the shahadah in front of masjids full of people, and I kind of liked the idea of such an excited atmosphere, with everyone shouting takbirs afterward and total strangers coming up to hug and congratulate me. For me personally, I'm glad I did it this way. Even though I don't really show it, I'm an attention hog; I absolutely love it when people validate me and make me feel special. Taking shahadah in front of hundreds of worshippers after jummah would have been awesome. However, I think that I would have been too focused on all the attention rather than declaring with conviction the shahadah. When I was alone, I could say it with complete ikhlas (sincerity).

There are a bunch of monumental dates in my journey to Islam. I first learned about Islam in 2002, I saw "Not Without My Daughter" in December 2004 and decided to look into Islam seriously, in March 2005 I decided that I wanted to convert someday, in September 2008 I started fasting for Ramadhan and praying, on December 31, 2008 I said the shahadah, on February 14, 2009 I had my spiritual epiphany (I wrote about it in a post a couple years back), and on July 15, 2010, I retook my shahadah in front of several witnesses at my masjid and received my "official shahadah certificate". For me, though, this is the most outstanding of the dates, Subhanallah. Insha'Allah, I pray that my iman and 'ilm will continue to grow, and that I will live and die in a state of Islam, Ameen!

2 comments:

♥●• İzdihër •●♥ said...

Mubarak :).

May Allah guide you.

Autumn (It's Autumn's Life) said...

Masha'Allah, I loved your story. It is so ironic that so many people actually convert to Islam after hearing bad things about the religion and deciding to look into it more to see if what people say is true. I also became a Muslim after a lot of study after being interested in all of the hullabaloo!

http://www.mrsgaeul.com

My Blog List