Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hard Times

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu everyone!

My semester finished yesterday Alhamdulillah, and for a while I am FREEEEE to just chill out, watch bad television, do stupid stuff with my friend Tiffanie, and have access to a car. :)

It's been a while since I've posted, and it's been for a couple reasons. First, this semester has been really busy, and unfortunately after finishing my work I decided I'd rather watch "Top Chef" than write a thoughtful blog post.

Secondly, and more seriously, I've been going through some rough personal times. As I've mentioned before, I have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and depression. OCD manifests itself in a lot of different ways, but most people get insinuating, extremely disturbing "bad thoughts" in their minds and feel like the only way they can get rid of them, or prevent something "bad" from happening, is by doing a compulsive behavior. For example, a person might get it in their mind that someone in their family is going to die, and the only way they can prevent this is by washing their hands so many number of times per hour; if they don't carry out this ritual exactly "right", then they have to repeat it or else they feel like they will be responsible for their relative's death. I have had several "types" of OCD, but my main one is called scrupulosity, where the obsessive thoughts and compulsions are related to religion. In the past, I used to be terrified that there would be a plane crash (this was after 9/11), so I felt the need to stop and say a specific prayer every time I heard a plane overhead (and we live right near an airport, so it happened often). I also used to have sexual-related thoughts about religious figures. Alhamdulillah, even though OCD can't be cured, it can be treated with medication and therapy, which is what I've been doing for the past few years.

For years now, I've been doing so much better Alhamdulillah. The medicine was really working, and almost all of my symptoms were gone. I was feeling so good that I decided that maybe I had "grown out" of my OCD and therefore didn't need to take my meds anymore. I went for a few months without taking them, and then suddenly, a few days before Eid al-Adha, OCD came back and knocked me over.

It started out with me having questions about the position of slavery in Islam. I was really upset that it is technically allowed in the Qur'an, despite having limits on it and the fact that it has for the most part died out among Muslims. I read so many different articles about it to try and calm me down, but little helped. This stretched until the day of Eid, and I was really upset that these feelings were ruining the holiday. In the middle of the day, they suddenly went away. I was very happy and ready to enjoy my Eid plans. Later that day, though, right before the big Eid dinner at my school, a humongous wave of doubt flooded me, doubts about ALLAH and whether or not He is real (Astaghfirullah). Seriously, they came out of nowhere. I tried and tried to convince myself that this was nonsense, that I really am a believer, but I just couldn't shake off the doubts. These overwhelming doubts literally consumed me for days on end, to the point where I could barely eat and sleep because I was so upset. These thoughts terrified me; how could I go from being a good Muslim one day to having such thoughts of kufr the next? Alhamdulillah, I didn't give up any of my Islamic duties (prayer, wearing hijab, etc.), but I was getting no benefit from them. The hopelessness and despair I felt were truly dreadful, something I would never, ever wish on anyone. It was so bad that I wished that I would die rather than to have to suffer through this (NOTE: I am NOT suicidal and never have been, and will never consider it. It is prohibited in Islam, and I feel like it doesn't solve any problems and just causes more grief for your loved ones.)

I knew that this was most likely due to my OCD and the fact that I hadn't taken my medication in months (stupid, stupid, stupid). I immediately started taking my meds again and haven't missed a day since. Unfortunately, this medication takes at least three weeks, if not more, before it kicks in, so I had to deal with these awful thoughts for a while. Alhamdulillah, I have gotten much better; I think the medicine is really working. The evil thoughts haven't totally gone away, but they are less frequent, and I am able to distract myself/ignore them better when they do occur.

The thing that was most terrifying was that I thought I was losing my faith. I thought that I would come to the realization that I didn't want to be Muslim anymore and would abandon my life for a new, non-religious one. But despite having these pervasive thoughts, I didn't WANT to be a kafir (not a non-Muslim, but an actual kafir, one who knows the Truth and willingly rejects it). I wanted, and still want, to be a Muslim. I had absolutely no intention of or desire to leave Islam, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I didn't and don't want these terrible doubts, and I would do anything to ensure that I remain faithful forever. I decided that maybe I needed to take another approach to my faith.

There was an article posted on Seeker's Guidance about the need for balancing one's head and heart in Islam. One cannot be a blind follower/only follow their heart, but one also mustn't only rely on what seems logical (following their brains). There are so many things we can't sense because our bodies are limited, and just because we can't sense things doesn't mean they're not there. This is where the heart comes in. I'm not explaining it very well, but the article is lovely and definitely worth reading.

I think it's definitely hard to be a believer, any kind of believer, in this day and age where people demand physical proof of everything. If one can't provide it, it's rejected as being "fake" or "stupid". I never used to fall into this trap, but after my OCD relapse I have unfortunately started thinking like this. In my case, I think it's a combination of waswasa (whispers from Shaytan who is trying to get me to lose faith) and OCD and depression, which are legitimate medical conditions. I think stress adds to it, too; I've been taking final exams the past few days, and the bad thoughts are starting to sprout up again.

Iman is so precious, and so fragile. You may feel like the best believer one day, and completely doubtful the next. I never thought that this would happen since I've always had very strong faith, but it has, and I can't deny it. I read (I think in the Seeker's Guidance article) about a saying (maybe a hadith) that says that iman wears out just like clothing does, and one needs to continuously renew it and ask ALLAH to keep them guided. Be grateful that you have this iman, even if it's just a little bit, and don't forget to nourish it and keep it healthy!

Alhamdulillah, I'm still a Muslim. I'm still praying, still fasting, still wearing hijab, still eating halal, still seeking out knowledge. But I am going through a difficult time, just as many people go through waxing and waning in their faith (although mine is compounded by the OCD and depression). Please make du'a for me that all this blows over as soon as possible. It's definitely a jihad that I'm experiencing, and it's a tough battle. Insha'Allah, this will all be behind me soon and I can take joy in my renewed iman, Ameen!

"O Controller of the hearts, make my heart steadfast in Your Religion."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Asalamu Alaikum sister!

Alhamdulilah that you are feeling better, and alhamdulilah that Allah has provided medications for you and a strong sense of inherent Iman, masha'Allah. Insha'Allah, I hope that you will feel better as each day passes. It is great that you have finished your exams and can focus more on enriching your Iman and concentrating on ALLAH and His importance in your life, insha'Allah. Continue your jihad, and insha'Allah, all will end well for you. I will make du'a that your struggle ends soon, and makes you stronger. insha'Allah you have a fun break from the college and with your friend tiffanie.

ma'salaama,
your sister in Islam,
Noor

truth said...

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=4732&CATE=150


http://www.nightmareofdisbelief.com/true_religion_01.php


http://www.mohdy.biz/sharawy_in_english/002_155_160.pdf

truth said...

Prophet (hadith) said :
1.. "Acquire knowledge, it enables its professor to distinguish right from wrong; it lights the way to heaven. It is our friend in the desert, our company in solitude and companion when friendless. It guides us to happiness, it sustains us in misery, it is an ornament amongst friends and an armour against enemies." (widely attributed to the Prophet Mohammed (pbuh))
2.. "A Muslim who plants a tree or sows a field, from which man, birds and animals can eat, is committing an act of charity." (Muslim)
3.. "There is a polish for everything that takes away rust; and the polish for the heart is the remembrance of Allah." (Bukhari)
4.. "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured." (Bukhari)
5.. "The most excellent Jihad is that for the conquest of self." (Bukhari)
6.. "If you put your whole trust in Allah, as you ought, He most certainly will satisfy your needs, as He satisfies those of the birds. They come out hungry in the morning, but return full to their nests." (Tirmidhi)
7.. "When Allah created his creatures He wrote above His throne: 'Verily, my Compassion overcomes my wrath." (Bukhari & Muslim)
8.. "Allah will not give mercy to anyone, except those who give mercy to other creatures." (Abdullah b. Amr: Abu Daud & Tirmidhi)
9.. " 'Son, if you are able, keep your heart from morning till night and from night till morning free from malice towards anyone.' Then the Prophet said: 'O my son! This is one of my laws, and he, who loves my laws verily loves me.' " (Bukhari)
10.. "Say what is true, although it may be bitter and displeasing to people." (Baihaqi)
11.. "Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever is not kind has no faith." (Muslim)
12.. "When you see a person who has been given more than you in money and beauty, look to those, who have been given less." (Muslim)
13.. "If you do not feel ashamed of anything, then you can do whatever you like." (Abu-Masud: Bukhari)
14.. "O Lord, grant me your love, grant me that I love those who love you; grant me, that I might do the deeds that win your love. Make your love dearer to me than the love of myself, my family and wealth." (Tirmidhi)
15.. "It is better to sit alone than in company with the bad; and it is better still to sit with the good than alone. It is better to speak to a seeker of knowledge than to remain silent; but silence is better than idle words." (Bukhari)
16.. "Verily, a man teaching his child manners is better than giving one bushel of grain in alms." (Muslim)
17.. "Whoever is kind, Allah will be kind to him; therefore be kind to man on the earth. He Who is in heaven will show mercy on you."(Abu Daud: Tirmidhi)
18.. "It is difficult for a man laden with riches to climb the steep path, that leads to bliss." (Muslim)
19.. "Once a man, who was passing through a road, found a branch of a tree with torns obstructing it. The man removed the thorns from the way. Allah thanked him and forgave his sins." (Bukhari)
20.. "Who are the learned? Those who practice what they know." (Bukhari)

truth said...

21.. "Allah has revealed to me, that you must be humble. No one should boast over one another, and no one should oppress another." (Iyad b. Hinar al-Mujashi: Muslim)
22.. "Who is the most favoured of Allah? He, from whom the greatest good comes to His creatures." (Bukhari)
23.. "A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity." (Muslim)
24.. "A Muslim who meets with others and shares their burdens is better than one who lives a life of seclusion and contemplation." (Muslim)
25.. "Serve Allah, as you would if you could see Him; although you cannot see Him, He can see you. (Umar: Muslim)
26.. "Allah does not look at your appearance or your possessions; but He looks at your heart and your deeds." (Abu Huraira: Muslim)
27.. "The best richness is the richness of the soul." (at the field ofTabuk, Syria, Rajab 9 A.H.: Bukhari)
28.. "Keep yourselves far from envy; because it eats up and takes away good actions, like a fire eats up and burns wood." (Abu Daud)
29.. "Much silence and a good disposition, there are no two things better than these." (Bukhari)
30.. "Verily, Allah is mild and is fond of mildness, and He gives to the mild what He does not give to the harsh." (Muslim)
31.. "Whoever loves to meet Allah, Allah loves to meet him." (Bukhari)
32.. "Once the Prophet was asked:'Tell us, which action is dearest to Allah?' He answered:'To say your prayer at its proper time.' Again he was asked: 'What comes next?' Mohammed said: 'To show kindness to parents.' 'Then what?' he was asked, 'To strive for the cause of Allah!' " (Ibn Masad: Bukhari)
33.. "When two persons are together, two of them must no whisper to each other, without letting the third hear; because it would hurt him." (Bukhari & Muslim)
34.. "Verily, it is one of the respects to Allah to honor an old man." (Bukhari)
35.. "All Muslims are like a foundation, each strengthening the other; in such a way they do support each other." (Abu Musa: Bukhari & Muslim)
way." (Tirmidhi)

truth said...

36.. "Strive always to excel in virtue and truth." (Bukhari)
37.. "You will not enter paradise until you have faith; and you will not complete your faith till you love one another." (Muslim)
38.. "He, who wishes to enter paradise at the best gate, must please his father and mother." (Bukhari & Muslim)
39.. "I am leaving two things among you, and if you cling to them firmly you will never go astray; one is the Book of Allah and the other is my way of life." (Farewell Pilgrimage: Muatta)
40.. "Allah is One and likes Unity." (Muslim)
41.. "The best of alms is that, which the right hand gives and the left hand knows not of." (Bukhari)
42.. "The perfect Muslim is not a perfect Muslim, who eats till he is full and leaves his neighbors hungry." (Ibn Abbas: Baihaqi)
43.. "He is not of us who is not affectionate to the little ones, and does not respect the old; and he is not of us, who does not order which is lawful, and prohibits that which is unlawful." (Ibn Abbas: Tirmidhi)
44.. "No man is a true believer unless he desires for his brother that, what he desires for himself." (Abu Hamza Anas: Bukhari & Muslim)
45.. "To strive for the cause of Allah from daybreak to noon and sunset is better than the goods and enjoyment of the whole worldly life." (Bukhari)
46.. "Be not like the hypocrite who, when he talks, tells lies; when he gives a promise, he breaks it; and when he is trusted, he proves dishonest." (Bukhari & Muslim)
47.. "The proof of a Muslim's sincerity is, that he pays no heed to that, which is not his business." (Abu Hureira: Tirmidhi)
48.. "Do you know what is better than charity and fasting and prayer? It is keeping peace and good relations between people, as quarrels and bad feelings destroy mankind." (Muslims & Bukhari)
49.. "Conduct yourself in this world, as if you are here to stay forever; prepare for eternity as if you have to die tomorrow." (Bukhari)
50.. "The worldly comforts are not for me. I am like a traveller, who takes a rest under a tree in the shade and then goes on his

truth said...

Wonder and danger of our amazing subconscious mind

Incident 1)
A person had problem with God, finance, marriage and business etc…by thinking no way coming out from the situation, not finding solution to the problem, he started THINKING NEGATIVELY about becoming “mad”…he did not stop there itself, he kept that thought continuously for a long time which ha become An OCD for him..
Result” he has landed in a mental hospital.
Incident 2)
Americans were thinking about landing on moon for a long time. Kept thinking the same for a long time.
Result?--> they have landed on moon in 1969.
In both the above incidents, both of them were human beings having same brain, mind and SCM….but how they utilized the situation makes them deferent to each other….one landed on mental hospital, the other on moon.
Which way you want to feed your thoughts into your SCM my dear sister Anne?...doubting Allah and keep thinking the same for a long time or, telling yourself that what you are thinking continually is wrong ?..
By sending the same doubtful thoughts to your SCM to grow there like a giant tree would make you difficult to bring that down so quickly.
To eradicate or come out from that OCD, you have to say the following everyday until your doubt disappears from your SCM.
Whenever you feel tense, frustrated or couldn’t concentrate on salah pls say the following to yourself.
1) No wrong thinking……………………….. ….( at least 10 times a day or more)
2) No negative feelings about Allah…. ( same as above)
3) No anger…………………………………………….. ( as above)
4) No hatered (if you have any)…………..(as above)
5) Past is past………………………………………….(as above)
Note : Dear sister, I have nothing to gain in giving naseeha to you…only because by reading your blog since long time and being you alone in your family as a muslim and your restless efforts and love with islam, I thought its my duty to be with my beloved sister in islam in her difficult situation.
You are a scholarly, mild, polite and kind person. I really respect and admire you sister Anne.
The above has worked for me when I had gone through such thoughts and when I met a psychologist to over come this. His simple method helped me a lot and I m free of negative thought since last 15 years.
May Allah be with you….aameen

Anonymous said...

Assalamu Aleykoum sister ! Alhamdoullilah that you are feeling better now and I am sure this is an ongoing struggle so keep faith, increase in your worship and hold fast to the rope of Allah swt!

Before I start sounding like a hypocrite, I have gone through times of ''doubting'', on the issue of polygamy, hoors and slavery. No matter what I was told, It kept bugging me. Then I prayed to Allah swt and understood the position in islam on these issues and the logic behind them.

There are reasons for everything Allah swt has blessed us with and we only realize a droplet worth of wisdom that these things encompass.

Allah swt does not burden a servant with more then he can bear! :) Maasalamaaaaa.

Adrianna said...

Asalaamu 3alaikum!!

Awwww, subhan Allah -- I am sorry you had those scary thoughts and alhamdulillah you feel better. I am not familiar with OCD but I think my mother might have suffered from something like it. Alhamdulillah you're still a Muslim and may Allah reward u for your faith in Him, even with this condition <3

HayyakAllah xoxo

LK said...

Miss You Lots! So glad you are back. I pray things to be easier for you sweety. You are such a strong lady.

Saira said...

Wa alaikum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh, Anne!

SubhanAllah. I had been reading Abez's blog, where I saw a link to yours. I've visited blogs from her list before, but this time I only clicked on your blog. And actually, I watched a number of videos about OCD on YouTube just last night, before reading this post of yours today.

I've also been suffering from OCD. With anxiety. And it has been really very bad. Alhamdulillah I'm still going despite it, just like you, and inshaAllah we will both be able to overcome it completely with Allah's help :)

I'm glad I found your blog, alhamdulillah! You seem like a cool sister, mashaAllah, and one I'd get along with :)

And subhanAllah, you're called Anne, my favourite English name since reading Anne of Green Gables :D

I'd really like to keep in touch with you - maybe we could help each other get through our difficulties inshaAllah? I haven't written on my blog for a long time but I had been thinking I should write a diary/blog, so I might just go back to blogging!

Saira said...

(I also came to your blog yesterday but only read this post today, and in the mean time watched those videos not knowing that you had the same problem as me!)

Banana Anne said...

Jazakallah khair everyone for your concerns. It really means a lot to me, Subhanallah.

Saira: Sure, I would love to contact you Insha'Allah. You can send me an email at thisisnotclever@gmail.com.

My Blog List