Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu everyone!
Once again, I apologize for my lack of posts. Honestly, I haven't even been that busy; it's more just that I haven't really had anything interesting to say. Alhamdulillah, maybe this is a good thing in that it means that I don't have anything bad happening in my life (Insha'Allah).
So last week after work I decided to go to the lovely, well-stocked downtown library. I was dorking around in there, not really looking for anything in particular. As I always do, I headed over to the religion section and looked to see what books they had on Islam. They actually have a pretty good collection of books, written by both Muslims and non-Muslims, critical and not critical. As I was browsing through the shelves, I noticed a tiny book hidden between two others. I picked it up, and it was entitled "My Mercy Encompasses All", by Reza Shah-Kazemi. The front of the book had an introduction that said that the author had heard of a book that had excerpts from the Bible about love, peace, and mercy, and he was inspired to compile a similar collection using the Qur'an. The book contained many passages from the Qur'an (Pickthall's translation of the meaning), as well as some commentary on the meanings of the verses. Subhanallah, the verses that were in the book really touched my heart, as the words of ALLAH should. I know there are many critics of the Qur'an out there that say that it is filled with nothing but evil, violence, and inequality, but these verses prove them very wrong. Alhamdulillah, it was a great iman booster for me. I wrote down some of the verses that I found especially beautiful. I will post the Pickthall translation of the meaning because that was what was used in the book, and then my thoughts on the verses.
"It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces to the East and the West; but righteous is he who believeth in Allah and the Last Day and the angels and the Scripture and the prophets; and giveth wealth, for love of Him, to kinsfolk and to orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and to those who ask, and to set slaves free; and observeth proper worship and payeth the poor-due. And those who keep their treaty when they make one, and the patient in tribulation and adversity and time of stress. Such are they who are sincere. Such are the Allah-fearing." (2:177)
-Subhanallah, this is such a good reminder to us all. I especially like the first part of the ayat that says that it is not righteousness that we "turn our faces to the east and the west"; i.e. doing all the rituals of Islam. The rituals, such as salat, are no doubt important, but in order to be truly GOD-fearing and righteous, we must also strive to truly live in service to ALLAH by serving others (e.g. giving money to those who need it, keeping treaties, being patient rather than angry and hasty, etc.). On one of LK's recent posts on her new blog (wheelsamsara.blogspot.com), I wrote how important it is for Muslims to always remember the essence of Islam (i.e. the shahadah) in all that we do, rather than only get caught up in rituals and forget exactly why we are doing them (to glorify ALLAH).
"And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright." (2:186)
-When I encountered this verse for the first time, I started tearing up. Subhanallah, ALLAH is always with us no matter what happens, and as long as we follow Him, He will always be there for us. To me, this verse is a beautiful confirmation of ALLAH's Great Love.
"O ye who believe! Be steadfast witnesses for Allah in equity, and let not hatred of any people seduce you that ye deal not justly. Deal justly, that is nearer to your duty. Observe your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is Informed of what ye do." (5:8)
-Anyone who supports terrorist acts against innocent people, or even prejudice against a certain group of people, must read and reflect on this verse. It clearly says that we must always treat people fairly and with justice, even if we hate the person or people in question. If we ignore this, it does not go unnoticed by ALLAH, and we will be called to account for any unfairness or injustice that we have done. Before you go speak out or make negative generalizations about an entire group of people, keep this verse in mind.
"...Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest!" (13:28)
-I can definitely attest to this; I feel the most peace of mind whenever I intimately think about ALLAH, whether through dhikr, reading about His marvelous creations, or even a special, personal du'a.
"Lo! men who surrender unto Allah, and women who surrender, and men who believe and women who believe, and men who obey and women who obey, and men who speak the truth and women who speak the truth, and men who persevere (in righteousness) and women who persevere, and men who are humble and women who are humble, and men who give alms and women who give alms, and men who fast and women who fast, and men who guard their modesty and women who guard (their modesty), and men who remember Allah much and women who remember - Allah hath prepared for them forgiveness and a vast reward." (33:35)
-This is one of my all-time favorite ayahs in the Qur'an, because it establishes, without any doubt, that men and women are on equal terms in the religion and neither can claim that they are "better" or "more important to ALLAH" than the other.
"O ye who believe! Remember Allah with much remembrance. And glorify Him early and late. He it is Who blesseth you, and His angels (bless you), that He may bring you forth from darkness unto light; and He is ever Merciful to the believers. Their salutation on the day when they shall meet Him will be: Peace. And He hath prepared for them a goodly recompense." (33:41-44)
-I love this whole section, but I especially like the phrase "that He may bring you forth from darkness unto light"; it's very poetic, and it's true that submitting oneself to ALLAH is like transitioning from darkness (uncertainty, fear, etc.) into light (knowing that ALLAH is Supreme and is the Most Merciful).
"Allah forbiddeth you not those who warred not against you on account of religion and drove you not out from your homes, that ye should show them kindness and deal justly with them. Lo! Allah loveth the just dealers." (60:8)
-Again, another verse that people who are inclined towards violence and intolerance should look at. When we are told to hate for the sake of ALLAH, ALLAH means for us to hate the ideas, not the people. It's like the old Christian expression "love the sinner, hate the sin". We can hate that someone is an alcoholic, and hate alcohol for what it does to people, but that doesn't give us permission to hate alcoholic people. Similarly, we can hate that someone is a disbeliever, and hate the sins that they may commit, but that doesn't mean that we are to hate the people themselves and be unfair and/or unkind to them. As long as others exhibit peace, we are to do the same.
"Hast thou observed him who belieth religion? That is he who repelleth the orphan, And urgeth not the feeding of the needy. Ah, woe unto worshippers Who are heedless of their prayer; Who would be seen (at worship) Yet refuse small kindnesses!" (107:1-7)
-This surah also touches on the importance of essentially "practicing what you preach". ALLAH condemns those who not only don't pray, but also those who only pray just to show off, yet they won't even do little good deeds for others.
Do you have any verses from the Qur'an that shoot down this "bad image" the Qur'an has among some people?
Sunday, June 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Creating Advanced tip with Swagbucks9 years ago
-
-
Pembuatan SKA10 years ago
-
Affordable Dining Room Furniture10 years ago
-
-
-
Butterfly (2015)10 years ago
-
-
Ginger Wedang (Sarebba)11 years ago
-
Advice11 years ago
-
-
Are you still following me?12 years ago
-
Confession12 years ago
-
-
Weight Loss Roadblocks12 years ago
-
-
I think I'll just move it12 years ago
-
Elegant hijab look13 years ago
-
Nostalgia13 years ago
-
A Mercy to Mankind13 years ago
-
-
saveoursunnah is under maintenance14 years ago
-
chickenxlicken is under maintenance14 years ago
-
Education for New Mothers14 years ago
-
-
-
I was bored...14 years ago
-
New Blog15 years ago
-
Ramblings15 years ago
-
Sorry I have not posted in a long time15 years ago
-
Reality Check15 years ago
-
How are things?15 years ago
-
Goodbye.15 years ago
-
My New Blog16 years ago
-
go on hiatus16 years ago
-
Closing Time16 years ago
-
Survey I Stumbled Upon (:16 years ago
-
So...16 years ago
-
I'm a Copy Cat16 years ago
-
The Velvet Promise16 years ago
-
imaginary clothes17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

9 comments:
I think that is the best advice anyone can give. To first remember God, then focus on what you "have" to do aka the rules. Often we get too wrapped up in rules and forget about what is truly important: The Almighty.
as-salam alaikum :-)
excellent post mashaAllah and all great reminders.
I know sometimes i get caught up on doing the stuff without truly contemplating what I am doing and why. It is a struggle not to get lost in the motions, but I know that the motions in their own way also help me to focus. I guess it is about the right balance :-)
Assalamu Alaikum,
The Qur'an is beautiful and shouldn't be compared to the Bible itself. As a Muslim that was christian, I do not see any comparison.The qur'an gives us a whole way of life including the Sunnah. Also, Islam is our way of life. We shouldn't be like the kuffar in our way of life. As Muslims we strive to see the face of ALLAH,insha'ALLAH. Its really important that we live our lives like the ProphetSAW. Wa alaikum salaam
I don't think she was trying to say that the Qur'an is the same as the Bible or anything (though there are MANY MANY MANY similarities between the two, because after all they were both at one point given by Allah to the people). She was just saying that one author compiled useful verses from the Bible and another author saw the benefits of doing this, but with ayaat from the Qur'an.
@ LK: Indeed. If it wasn't by the Will of ALLAH, there would not be the religion of Islam and everything that goes along with it. Keeping ALLAH first and foremost in our minds is essential.
@ NeverEver: I like that, the idea of a balance. Alhamdulillah, Islam provides that balance for me, although I admit that sometimes it is easy to get caught up in merely performing acts of worship without any ikhlas (sincerity).
@ Sunnahfollowers: NeverEver is correct, the author of the book said that when he heard that a Christian had written a book about "love and peace" verses in the Bible, he wanted to write a similar book using verses of the Qur'an.
assalamu alaeykum sister,
................................
Mistreatment and abuse of women, and wives in particular is condemned by Islam.
Consider the following Hadith narrated by Abu Huraira in Tirmidhi: the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said,"The one most perfect in his faith is he whose conduct is best and the best amongst you is he who behaves best towards his wife."
Now consider the following the statistics about how many women are treated in the United States, taken from the 1995 National Crime Victimization Survey of the U.S. Department of Justice and the National Domestic Violence Hotline Fact Sheet and Statistics
HOW MANY ABUSED
WOMEN ARE THERE IN THE U.S.?
Women age 12 or older annually sustained almost 5
million violent victimizations in 1992 and 1993.
Women and girls ages 12 and up annually reported about 500,000 rapes and sexual assaults, almost 500,000 robberies, and about 3.8 million assaults.
WHO ARE THE ABUSERS
In 29% of all violence against women by a lone offender, the perpetrator was an intimate (husband,ex-husband, boyfriend or ex-boyfriend).
Women annually reported about 500,000 rapes and sexual assaults Friends or acquaintances of the victims committed over half of these rapes or sexual assaults. Strangers were responsible for about 1 in 5.
go for more at :
http://www.soundvision.com/Info/misc/wvastat.asp
assalamu alaeykum sister,
................................
Mistreatment and abuse of women, and wives in particular is condemned by Islam.
Consider the following Hadith narrated by Abu Huraira in Tirmidhi: the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said,"The one most perfect in his faith is he whose conduct is best and the best amongst you is he who behaves best towards his wife."
Now consider the following the statistics about how many women are treated in the United States, taken from the 1995 National Crime Victimization Survey of the U.S. Department of Justice and the National Domestic Violence Hotline Fact Sheet and Statistics
HOW MANY ABUSED
WOMEN ARE THERE IN THE U.S.?
Women age 12 or older annually sustained almost 5
million violent victimizations in 1992 and 1993.
Women and girls ages 12 and up annually reported about 500,000 rapes and sexual assaults, almost 500,000 robberies, and about 3.8 million assaults.
WHO ARE THE ABUSERS
In 29% of all violence against women by a lone offender, the perpetrator was an intimate (husband,ex-husband, boyfriend or ex-boyfriend).
Women annually reported about 500,000 rapes and sexual assaults Friends or acquaintances of the victims committed over half of these rapes or sexual assaults. Strangers were responsible for about 1 in 5.
go for more at :
http://www.soundvision.com/Info/misc/wvastat.asp
When I was almost total collapse by hardship in life and thinking of ending my life was 10 years back.
To believe or not ALLAH, and giving up my life, my final attempt to believing him was finding solutions to my problems in Qur’an.
Then I got the following verse and stayed with Islam with stronger belief.
….We are all tested in various ways by Allah (S.W.T.) in this world.
In the Qur’an, in Surah Baqarah (2: 155), …Allah States unequivocally that He will test us:
Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere,
Qur’an 2:155.
Somebody lost their faith in Allah,
1) coz they lost their DOG,
2) coz they lost their loved one,
3) coz their husband / fiancé dumped them …
4) coz they couldn’t cop with the hardship they are going through
…….Some other reasons
I WOULD HAVE GONE ASTRAY if wouldn’t have got that verse on that particular time of hardship in my life. Today I am a happy person not by achieving materialistic things. But real happiness in my life.
assalamu alaikum sister.
When I was almost total collapse by hardship in life and thinking of ending my life was 10 years back.
To believe or not ALLAH, and giving up my life, my final attempt to believing him was finding solutions to my problems in Qur’an.
Then I got the following verse and stayed with Islam with stronger belief.
….We are all tested in various ways by Allah (S.W.T.) in this world.
In the Qur’an, in Surah Baqarah (2: 155), …Allah States unequivocally that He will test us:
Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere,
Qur’an 2:155.
Somebody lost their faith in Allah,
1) coz they lost their DOG,
2) coz they lost their loved one,
3) coz their husband / fiancé dumped them …
4) coz they couldn’t cop with the hardship they are going through
…….Some other reasons
I WOULD HAVE GONE ASTRAY if wouldn’t have got that verse on that particular time of hardship in my life. Today I am a happy person not by achieving materialistic things. But real happiness in my life.
Post a Comment