Monday, February 1, 2010

Hmmm...I think it's time for a lighter post

...Yes, this blog is well overdue for some lighthearted fun. :)

I'm going to take an informal survey with completely random questions (basically whatever pops in my mind). I'll give you my answers next to them. I would love to hear your answers Insha'Allah!

Favorite beverage and why?: This is a toughie. I'm going to say mango lassi (it's like drinking a milkshake, only healthier!) and ice cold lemonade or limeade (nothing beats it on a summer day).

Favorite place you've traveled to and why: I loved my time in Beijing. I was only there for a few days, but it was amazing how much culture and history was here. There's also a good-sized Muslim population there, Alhamdulillah. Insha'Allah I'm applying to summer language programs in Beijing for this summer. Please make du'a for me that I get into one! (not just to learn the language, but also so I can be away from home and be able to practice Islam freely :P)

Favorite cartoon strip: The Boondocks (SO funny, but in a smart, biting way) and Garfield Minus Garfield. It's not in papers; it was created by this guy who basically erased Garfield from all the panels and left Jon standing there talking to himself (and having existential crises all the while). Check it out online; it's hilarious.

Favorite Surahs from the Qur'an (if you have any) and why: I haven't finished reading all of the Qur'an, but I really like al-Fatiha (if you're going to introduce non-Muslims to any part of the Qur'an, make it this Surah), Surah Maryam (so touching), Surah Ta Ha (I love the story of Musa (as)), and Surah Rahman (the simple question "Then which of the favors of your Lord will you deny?" is so profound).

If you were forced to move to a Muslim majority country, where would you want to go?: I would choose Malaysia. I think it's a great example of a nation that is diverse and (generally) tolerant while still maintaining its Islamic identity. And Bahasa Malaysia (the national language) is so beautiful, Masha'Allah.

Favorite type of meat (or if you're vegetarian, favorite non-meat dish) and why?: When I do eat meat I usually eat chicken breast because it's healthy and absorbs the flavors of spices and sauce really well, but give me a big juicy steak any day and I'll eat the entire thing.

Worst movie you've ever seen: Titanic: The Animated Musical. It blatantly rips off the real Titanic movie, as well as countless Disney/Don Bluth animated films. It's on Youtube. Watch it if you dare.

Did you sleep with a stuffed animal/security blanket when you were a kid? What was it/what was its name? Do you still sleep with it now?: I have a security blanket, no name, that I still sleep with. It used to be white with silky edges; now it's a grey rag.

Post away!

7 comments:

LK said...

Oh fun I want to play!

Beverage: Arab mango juice. Seriously I can't get enough of this stuff. Mango Lassi is a close second.

Favorite place to travel to: Disney world. Ive never left the US but I loved Disney. Epcot rules.

Fav Cartoon Strip: Peanuts. I grew up with them, I love Snoopy. He is hillarious!

Fav Surah: Surah al Rahman. Its just so beautiful.

Muslim country: Dubai. Or the UK...do they count? JK Dubai seems to have just the right amount of Western and Eastern mix. And they aren't fanatical muslim.

Meat: Beef. I prefer steak but its very hard to find halal steak. But I love most food cooked with strips of beef, like in curry or chinese food.

Worst Movie Ever: this one is hard. Utena the Movie was pretty awful.

Stuffed Animal: Yes. A giant dog but I do not have it its at my parents

Banana Anne said...

LK: Oh, I know the mango juice you're talking about. It's awesome. I've never been to Disneyworld. :( Peanuts is so cute. Ditto on Surah al Rahman. Dubai sounds cool, and I would definitely consider some parts of the UK "Muslim land", especially in London and Manchester. Beef strips FTW! Never seen Utena; I'll have to look it up. And I had a giant stuffed Snoopy which is also at my parents' house.
Whew! Thanks for answering! :)

NeverEver said...

assalamu alaikum anne, inshaAllah I will post my answers on my blooooog! :-D

Vanamo said...

Salam aleikum,

here are my brief answers.

Favorite beverage and why: I would say mango lassi. Normally I drink just orange juice.
Favorite place to travel to: North Norway and Jordan. They are different and touched me deeply
Favorite Cartoon Strip: Peanuts, for the same reason like LK
Favorite Surah: this is difficult, I still haven't finished Quran. Surah al Rahman probably
Muslim country: this is easy: Jordan. We have family members there
Meat: chicken in many forms
Worst Movie Ever: don't know
Stuffed Animal: not that I know

Anonymous said...

Salam Anne! I've answered on my blog since my answers were loooooong! Thanks for posing such an interesting variety of questions!

She's Reaching said...

My turn!

1) Hot tea spiced with cardamom and cloves, and lots of sugar. It just gives me a pick-me-up and the smell makes me feel so comfy.

2) San Francisco, CA. Oh how I love this city! With it's gloomy weather, diversity and teeny roads. I think I just love the memories. Madina, Saudi Arabia. It was so peaceful. Best memories of my father.

3) Boondocks, lol. And phD comics :D

4) Ar-Rahman, it touches my soul do deeply, mashAllah. At-Takwir, so succinct yet, alhamdulilah, mashaAllah.

5) UAE. I know it has some bad press, but i think it might have the right mix of diversity for me.

6) Meat? Hmm, er, medium-well? I don't know really, anything that is well-seasoned.

7) Nine, in recent memory, has to be the most overrated movie. Ever.

8) Nope!

Maddie said...

1) Strawberry bubble tea, strawberry Italian soda, cinnamon dolce latte, root beer floats. . . But I drink water almost exclusively. I enjoy sweet creamy drinks for treats only.
2) Walt Disney World. Is there a need for a why?
3)Baby Blues, Foxtrot. . . Rarely read anything, but I like those when I do. I prefer graphic novels to comic strips, such as Pokemon Adventures/Special and Cardcaptor Sakura.
4) I don't remember the Arabic word, but I love the one that teaches you how to deal with non-believers. . . I'll believe my beliefs and you'll believe yours sort of thing. (:
5) Turkey. It seems to have the most freedom of choice.
6) Chicken! I'm not big on red meat, really. I also love turkey.
7) THE WIZARD. A bunch of kids go to LA for a video game tournament and it's just. . . really. . .awful. And they stop by my current city and hang out in the casinos and play craps, which is so ridiculous and impossible that it makes me want to rip my hair out.
8) I still sleep with stuffed animals, hehe! I sleep with a Piplup (Pokemon) cuddle pillow now. I used to sleep with a TY Beanie Buddy for most of my life. . . Corky. XD

My Blog List